Author Topic: Dr. Tymianski at Toronto Western  (Read 3731 times)

mk

Dr. Tymianski at Toronto Western
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:57:34 am »
Hello there,

has anyone of the GTA-based ANers consulted with or heard anything about Dr. Tymianski at Toronto Western? It seems that he is the neurosurgeon that Dr. Rutka operates with these days, but by looking into his website it seems that his specialty is more aneurysm type surgeries etc. Any info, good or bad about him?

Thank you,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Keeping Up

Re: Dr. Tymianski at Toronto Western
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 05:48:47 pm »
Hey MK

I did have a consult with him almost 2 years ago.  He is very bold (suggested he could have this thing out in 45 minutes, and life would go on).  I have no other background nor how much surgery he has done.  He also said don't do anything know, lose the hearing, wait for it to grow and then come back to see him.  Not warm and fuzzy.

I know you are a big researcher - I read a study not that long ago (if I remember a big medical journal) that suggested the surgeon's experience wasn't as key as some might otherwise suggest (ie. outcome of hearing and facial weakness is similar - also very dependent on the quality of the institution/background of the surgeon).  It would be interesting to raise that issue with Dr. Rutka to assess whether his opinion is at all similar. 

Good luck.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'