Author Topic: My AN experience (post-op)  (Read 2101 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
My AN experience (post-op)
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:25:58 pm »
Jim Scott here, just checking in on my first day home from the hospital.

I had my 4.5 cc AN removed on the morning of June 7th by a team of surgeons lead by Dr. Issac Goodrich at the Hospital of Saint Raphael in New Haven, CT...an excellent medical facility often eclipsed by the better-known Yale University hospital in New Haven.

I went in healthy and positive and emerged the same way, with over 90% of the tumor now gone.  Dr. Goodrich will remove the reminder by radiosurgery in the fall "when things have settled down", as Dr. Goodrich put it.  Works for me.

The actual surgury was about 8 hours (O.K., 7.5 according to my wife) and I was in the ICU for four days (too long).  One day on the ward and they allowed me to leave the hospital today, Monday, June 12th.  I'Ve been home about 5 hours and just wanted to post a follow-up , as I know many do not seem to bother once surgery is over.  

I'm good: no headaches, no facial problems and I pray that will remain the case.  The surgeons made every possible attempt to avoid touching any nerves and used a special physician to monitor that function of the surgery.  My eyesight isn't 100% as yet so this post is taking some effort but I'm basically tumor-free and 'IT'S OVER!"  Now, home again, I just want to recover my 'normal' life, just as every other AN patient does.  I'm doing well at home and wish every AN patient, pre or post-op, the same positive results!

Jim

;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:32:34 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeanlea

Re: My AN experience (post-op)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 02:32:52 pm »
Glad to hear all went well with your surgery.  Must feel so much better to be on this side of surgery. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Obita

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 02:58:18 pm »
Welcome home Jim Scott:

I've been wondering how you are doing.  Glad you are on the upswing. 

My eye dried out 10 days after surgey.......bummed me out.  Get a tube of
Lacrilube or a pm ointment if they didn't give you any just in case.  That part was
the worst of the whole AN journey

Best of luck to you and take it slow............Kathy O'Brien
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 03:59:30 pm »
Great news Jim !!!
I am so glad you are doing good. I couldn't even imagine getting on the computer so soon. Take care and keep us posted.
Lynn

superrmaren

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 07:45:04 pm »
Congrats, Jim!
im new to this whole ordeal and it is refreshing to hear some people do come out of surgery unscathed and with little or no complications! 
maren
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 07:52:40 pm »
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!  Sounds like you're doing great!  I think it was 2 mos before I could even open my eyes  :)

matti

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 08:03:14 pm »
Happy to hear that everything went so well, home just a few hours and already online, WOW!

Make sure you get plenty of rest (enjoy the pampering)   Take care and  keep us posted!

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 03:28:38 pm »
Thanks so much for all the warm replies and good wishes.

Yes, the surgery did go very well...partly thanks to a very experienced and focused surgeon...Dr.Issac  Goodrich and his 'A-Team"at the Hospital of Saint Raphael in New Haven, Connecticut.

I'm receiving PT 're-hab' in-home via the VNA and my 'natural' balance is coming back more every day.  My hearing went years ago on the former 'tumor side' (left) so that is not a real problem at this point.    A bit of a dry left eye that drops take care of quite well and the 13cc stapled incision site (the staples come out on June 26th) are the only evidence that I had a major operation just 6 days ago.  My wife is thrilled with my progress, as am I.   I cannot wait to 'get past' this experience.  4 days in the ICU were a test of my patience, with the seemingly constant 'wake-up'' calls (to test neuro functions, take blood, etc).  So good to be home!

I just want those contemplating an AN removal  to know that it is not the end of the world and remember that everyone is different.  Some will do very well, others may not be on the exact same track.   I am not young but otherwise I'm quite healthy with no other physical problems to deal with.  That was a plus, obviously.  I researched all the AN sites...this one is my favorite..and educated myself on what I had (acoustic neuroma)  and what to do about it. My surgeon is conservative and cautious and we were on the same page at all times.  I'll never forget Dr. Goodrich.

I'll check back in from time to time to acknowledge any replies or answer any questions but I have no intention of making this AN experience the focus of the rest of my life.  It happened - and I succeeded in overcoming it ...with much help, of course.  No one gets through this without help; spiritual, family, friends...and I had all three.

Thanks again for the good wishes and compliments.  I really appreciate all of you guys.

Jim

:)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:34:33 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 05:05:15 pm »
Jim

YOU ARE A POSTIE!!!!!!! (post-treatment)  YAY YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Please take things easy... one day at a time... step by step, inch by inch.  You sound terrific and sending wishes for further speedy recovery!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"