Author Topic: 38 year old just diagnosed with 1.4cm AN..............  (Read 8133 times)

kayla

38 year old just diagnosed with 1.4cm AN..............
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:29:01 pm »
I was just diagnosed with a 1.4 cm AN my ENT found through MRI.  I'm having massive headaches in the back of my head.
Nothing seems to help.  Also I have Kaiser insurance and have been referred to a Dr 90 miles away from my home.  Anyone have
any suggestions of a Dr that was used and liked in the So California area?   Kayla

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: 38 year old just diagnosed with 1.4cm AN..............
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:53:04 pm »
are you near LA ?

HEI http://www.houseearclinic.com/index.htm in LA ..  they are one of the BEST ...

there are serveral other great places .. but since it sounds like your near LA . I would at least check them out!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 02:00:17 pm »
Karla,
  Sorry to hear about your AN diagnosis, but welcome to this site.  You can search through the forum posts to find referrences to San Diego.
  One of the things to keep in mind is that the outcome of AN treatment is related to the experience of the treatment team.  So be sure to find a very experienced treatment team.  Find a well respected best team, which may not be the same thing as Kaiser's best.  There have been other people on this forum who have worked with Kaiser about having treatment outside of Kaiser.
  If you've just been diagnosed, you're probably in a bit of shock.  ANs are almost always slow growing tumors, so take your time researching your options.
  Regards,
   Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Obita

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 07:59:37 pm »
Hi Kayla:

Welcome. 

Your AN is still on the smallish side so you probably have time to get as many consults as you feel like.  Many people get both surgical and radiaiton consults before they decide which treatment they want.

Good luck and you can email me anytime if you have any questions.  I am in Minnesota so I can't help with CA doctors.  I do know you can send your MRI CD to the House Ear in LA and they will give you a phone consult for free.

Kathy O'Brien
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 10:51:31 pm »
Hi Kayla,
  I also had massive headaches when I presented with the AN...my surgeon started me on steriods which helped tremendously.  Decadron.  Might be something the surgeon you see will give you to help you.  I had head pressurew which mimicked a migraine. 

You can get copies of your mri and reports to send for consults at house, gamma or ck facilities.  I know I talked to a few places in ca and they were willing to do phone consults with me.

Know we're here to answer any questions you have! 

kayla

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 11:48:02 pm »
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and help with my question.
Kayla
 :)

tcrnko

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 04:58:44 pm »
Kayla,
I too am a Kaiser patient, and also and employee.  I am a nurse manager at Kaiser Riverside.  I am curious to know what area you line in in SoCal. 
I do encourage you to look outside the system as well as within.  I am having surgery in january with Dr's Cueva and Mastrodomas.  I met them and am comfortable with their knowledge and experience.

Being a nurse I have different expectations of the nrusing staff and will demand them.  As a ptient you also can demand them by talking to any manager of the dapartment yu are unhappy with.  Kaiser is undergoing a big push for customer service.

If pushed, Kaiser will authorize outside doctors to perform procedures and cover the bill.
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego