Author Topic: How many are you driving?  (Read 6598 times)

heyyouconnie

How many are you driving?
« on: April 19, 2005, 05:31:08 pm »
I am 6 weeks out of surgery. I just started driving. But it is hard because I wear a patch over my bad eye. The wind from the windows hurts it alot. I am having a hard time judging depth too. But I go slow and very careful. Driving is the only way for me to get around. Hubby works and we live way out of town on top of a mountain. I was cooped up here for 5 weeks with only getting out a few evenings for dinner. So now I can get into town to get some groceries.

When did you start to drive?

leckie

Re: How many are you driving?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 08:18:58 am »
I am 3 months out of surgery, and I'm driving full time.  It took me a lot longer to feel comfortable behind the wheel than I thought it would.  I had facial paralysis for about 6 weeks, and I still have dry eye on the left side.  My biggest problem was the dizziness that I would experience when turning my head from left to right at a stop sign.  Just take your time.  Each time you get behind the wheel will make you more comfortable.  Good luck. 8)
Laura

2cm AN removed 1/12/05

kbwright

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 10:27:39 am »
I am 1 month out of gamma knife radiation treatment. I stopped driving about 2weeks before the treatment. I did not start driving again until about 3 weeks after the treatment. My ENT prescribed ATIVAN, very low dose. It really helps to keep the dizziness under control and keeps me calm. I have found I am ok if I stay in the right lane and take my time. I only drive short distances to work. It seems harder to be the passenger, too much looking around. I have to laugh that I actually drive better than I walk! Sitting is much better than walking.

Take your time,
KB

dpetty

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 01:36:42 pm »
I was driving within a couple of days but I had to due to a divorce and the kids needed to be picked up and such.

heyyouconnie

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 07:11:32 pm »
dpetty:
Sorry to hear about the divorce. Divorce is bad enough without this surgery on top of it. I've read a few of your posts. I was divorced about 20 years ago and I had small children too. But everything passes and things do get better. I went thru loosing two of my kids, going back to live with him and me only raising one. I went thru lots of dopey dates and hurtful relationships. And lots of drugs. But I did find a wonderful man who loves me totally and we were married 5 years ago. Luckily I had him to help thru all this. I think it was harder on him than me, 12 hours in surgery seemed like 15 minutes to me, and 15 hours to him.

Is there anyone to help you?

dpetty

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 09:37:14 am »
Well it was tough but I made it, yes I just got remarried last month, she is helpful to me, my oldest is nearing 19 now and on his own to a degree and I still have my 15 yr old along now with her kids.

David

wanderer

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 12:20:46 pm »
3 weeks post translab surgery,   2 weeks from csf repair.

Russ

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 02:01:01 pm »
Hi
  I suppose one starts driving when the body is amenable to driving. Not all are the same.
  Seems if there is a lasting vestibular loss, one will always have to use caution when driving as a vision loss accompanies a vestibular loss. Turning the head side to side will result in a loss of vision to the vestibularily impaired. Part of the 'vestibular/ocular reflex'. Do a Google search using terms Hain+Menieres+DIE visual acuity test, or, Hain+Bi-lateral vestibulopathy.
  If vestibularily challenged, driving in the dark will be a challenge indeed! We need vision to compensate for vestibular loss.
  I'll stay out of your way if you stay out of mine! - smile -
  Russ

SorchaC

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 07:46:56 am »
Well it took 6 months and permission from my doctor before I even tried... the world was moving around far too much before that and as I couldn't turn my head at all really before I would have been a complete menace on the roads.....
As someone else said .... my driving was better than my walking

wanderer

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 11:54:37 am »
I don't know about loss of vision after vestibular loss.   I had translab so I do not have a vestibular system on the left side.  I have almost no dizziness ever, and no vision loss.   I don't have any trouble driving either.   I feel pretty much as I always did.     

Anyway,  i think driving will be very individual.   Age will probably be a big factor too.

Zach

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 08:26:28 pm »
Started driving about three weeks after surgery. The biggest problem was a much greater need for paying attention. My balance is really pretty good (8 weeks post op now) but I notice I really need to focus to stay on the road. In the past, if there was nothing going on, I could look away from the road and still go in a straight line. No more, for sure! If I want to drive, or walk in a direction, I'd best be looking there or I'll be headed off to who knows where. It's a wonder I don't get lost in my own house.

Zach

littlemissrory

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 07:07:31 pm »
I started driving about three weeks out from surgery mostly out of necessity.  My dad was staying to help me out but he had just had shoulder surgery and couldn't drive my car easily.  We were quite a pair!  I thought that driving helped my balance along, my doctor told me to continue putting myself in situations(he never said driving) were my body would have to figure things out, driving helped...as long as you do it safely.  The worst part for me were my neck muscles being so sore after surgery and I would get dizzy if I turned my head to quickly to look.  Good luck with recovery...it's been almost a year for me and I feel great-I wish the same for you.