Author Topic: TransEasr 380-HF ... Headaches?  (Read 3137 times)

bre2you

TransEasr 380-HF ... Headaches?
« on: October 20, 2010, 03:11:38 pm »
I was recently fitted for the TransEar 380-HF.  The first day I wore it, I could tell the difference with my hearing except when in a crowded restaurant.  I suspect that there are some adjustments that need to be made to the device.  However, when I removed the hearing aid, my head instantly started pounding and I have had a headache for several days now.  When I phoned my audiologist to see if this was normal, she didn't have a clue why this was occurring (I am only her second fitting).  I have not worn the device since.  Has anybody else experienced headaches?  Do they eventually go away?   ???

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your comments with me.  I do plan to try it again in the next few days

Bridget
Flint, MI

Bridget
2.8cm AN removed July 14, 2008
translab; SSD
Michigan Ear Institute
Dr. Dennis Bojrab --- Dr. Daniel Pieper

jerseygirl

Re: TransEasr 380-HF ... Headaches?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 03:44:43 pm »
Hi,

I did not experience headaches but there definitely was adjustment period to wearing Transear. I just could not wear it all day because I was overwhelmed by all the sounds around me. The setting that suppresses background noise id the most comfortable to me. Now I can wear it all day, no problem. Maybe, your headaches are your body's way of telling you that you need to go slow with Transear? Just a thought...

Eve
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:06:57 pm by Jim Scott »
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

bre2you

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:32:55 pm »
Thanks, Eve!

I tried it again over the weekend.  I have the hearing level set to 2 and put my cell phone up to my ear to listen to voice mail messages.  I was able to hear waht my nephew was saying although it was low.   ;D  When I went out to dinner with my husband, I forgot to set it so that it would suppress background noise.  :(  I will try that again this weekend.  I still have two weeks left of my 30-day trial.  How long have you had yours?

Bridget
Bridget
2.8cm AN removed July 14, 2008
translab; SSD
Michigan Ear Institute
Dr. Dennis Bojrab --- Dr. Daniel Pieper

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:47:39 pm »
I have had it for about 2 years and it is an older model than yours. I don't wear it everyday, though. I have been SSD for over 20 years since my first AN surgery, so my environment is pretty quiet. When I do wear it, though, day in and day out, all day long, I go through some minor adjustment period all over again. It helps, though, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 03:09:33 pm »
HI ALL<
   I am considering a Transear.  The audiologist has never fitted for one before and is concerned about discomfort because the plastic fits pretty deep into the ear canal to reach the bony part.  She says it has to be a snug fit in order to conduct, and could cause pressure, plus it is a hard plastic that one could feel moving in there when chewing, yawning, etc. and could cause pressure.  I am wondering if the pressure of having it in there is what could have caused Bridgett's headache.  Did they get better?  Did Bridgett keep the Transear after the 30 day trial?

So I am asking for feedback about the fitting, the piece in the ear, how it feels, how long to get used to it, etc.  Did you compare it to a BAHA demo at all.  Wondering how well it works in comparrison.

thanks
patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:47:12 am »
Yikes, this kinda worries me.  I'm going to talk to my neurotologist next week about getting a hearing device, but as a post-op headache sufferer I'm now worried that it might cause me more pain.  I guess its another question I should ask my Dr.

Thanks,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:43:45 pm »
I don't want to get the BAHA because of my headaches plus I tend to get figety and might tug on the post when I'm not thinking about it like when I'm asleep.   I want to get the TransEar and wrote to them with some questions about it such as does it help with Tnnitus.   They wrote back that it does not but that some people report that it does.   They also gave me a list of people in my area that have experience in the fitting and dispensing.   I chose the one that is highly recommended in our DC Area consumer magazine.   The audiologist got raving reviews.  I'm looking forward to setting up my appointment but am focusing right now on a cure to my headaches and have the hearing on the back burner because I am in such pain everyday.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh