Author Topic: DING-DONG from a DIng-a-Ling!  (Read 4470 times)

Kaybo

DING-DONG from a DIng-a-Ling!
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:24:12 pm »
As most of you know, we have just moved to Houston and have built a new house here.  It has an "open" floor plan and is very bright - which we LOVE!  However, we did not think about the not so great acoustics that would have.  We also chose to have tile in almost every room downstairs so that makes it worse too (we are trying to get some rugs as we can, though, so that helps some).  ANYWAY, the new doorbell is GREATLY lacking...I really can't hear it at all!!  We have looked at Lowe's & Home Depot but they really aren't any louder.  I guess I could get one that plays music & maybe I would hear it because of the length?  Does anyone have any great suggestions for a LOUDER doorbell?  Any experiences or things that work for you?  Please share!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: DING-DONG from a DIng-a-Ling!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 04:54:06 pm »
Funny Kaybo...I haven't had this problem, but we did get a new washer and dryer recently and they "sing" when they're done and I can actually hear them from downstairs.  Not constantly running up and down the stairs to see if the clothes are done.  What I'm saying is try the singing one, I think it might work  ;D
From one ding-a-ling to another,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:10:48 pm »
Kay .....

Where is the ringer for your doorbell located?  Maybe it could be relocated to a more central location.  Surely with today's wireless everything, there are doorbells out there that could signal multiple ringers.  Our doorbell is hooked into the intercom so it rings LOUDLY in every room ..... sometimes much to my chagrin!   :'(  (need an emoticon for covering ears)  Sure glad the door-to-door politicians have stopped!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:44 pm »
Did a search on ebay and google. "Electric school bell" I didn't know they are 220v but they sure would be loud enough.

Then a search on google and ebay. "Loud door bell" Good bit of hits for wired and wireless at very cheap prices.

In my life I have night vision security cameras all around my house and monitors in places that I hang out in the most. Bedroom, office, living room, and work room. So I hardly have someone ring my bell before I see them coming up. I started with 1 black and white camera and 1 monitor 15 years ago and this completely eliminated the "Is someone at my door because I heard a sound syndrome". I just glance over at a monitor and the stress is gone. I don't run and look out the window anymore to see that no one is there.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 01:11:03 am »
Funnydream : I have found it's not always the volume that's the issue but the pitch of the noise......I found having a doorbell, phone etc playing a song is better then the traditional DING DONG! Problem I always thought about with the one's devised for the hearing impaired, the one's that blink the lights'......what if you're asleep and your eyes are closed?
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:04 am »
Funnydream : I have found it's not always the volume that's the issue but the pitch of the noise......I found having a doorbell, phone etc playing a song is better then the traditional DING DONG! Problem I always thought about with the one's devised for the hearing impaired, the one's that blink the lights'......what if you're asleep and your eyes are closed?
Kathleen

They do sell Doorbell alert/system to work with sonic alert alarm clocks.  You have to browse through the pages at this link;  http://www.hearmore.com/store/prodList.asp?idstore=6&idcategory=115&curPage=2&sortField=dateAdded+DESC&listView=1
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:42:35 am »
Kaybo -

you are NOT a ding-a-ling. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »
I have a wireless doorbell system with a receiver in the front room and another in our family room. It's possible to add buttons that ring a different chime for each door as well. I found it at WalMart.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13