Author Topic: hearing test  (Read 6388 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: hearing test
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 05:58:34 am »
Checked with my doc he said no one has a right answer.

Since I have a BAHA, he recommends a hearing test every 2-3 years, unless I notice a change in my "good" ear.

The reason for testing is to document if there are hearing changes, and if so, then he or my audiologist might recommend a more powerful BAHA.

If someone does not have a BAHA, then every 5 years would be fine, except if someone notes a hearing change.

Hope this helps,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 08:16:09 am »
Thanks Jan!  I'll have to ask what they recommend when I go in on the 2nd of Nov. 
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:30 am »
I hadn't been checked after my AN surgery until I got ready for the BAHA implant.  I thought hearing test was standard.  The audio said no, my insurance had requested it.  They must have wanted to prove I was totally deaf on the one side.  She didn't mention anything about coming back in for retesting either.  Interesting.  I will watch out for dimished hearing as well and go from there.  Thanks for starting this thread, it looks like it gave a lot of us something to think about.
Susan
 ???
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 12:10:17 pm »
This is turning out to be quite an informative thread. I just assumed that an annual hearing test would be in order since an audiogram was scheduled for me right along with my 6 month MRI following the CK I just had. Like I said, I have extremely limited knowledge, however, since I have only one really "good" ear, I'd like to know how it's doing year to year with data.
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 09:03:25 am »
I've had annual MRIs since one year post op but have not had a hearing test since I was diagnosed with my AN.

In my case, there's not a lot to tell.  It's already been established that I'm SSD so I'm not sure what a hearing test each year would uncover.  Guess that's why my doc says I should have one if anything changes in my "good" ear.

I was tempted to ask him when the time comes for my hearing test if I'll only be charged half price since I only have hearing in one ear  ;D  Yeah, right.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 01:15:38 pm »
Doesn't work with my barber, either.  :D

(not to derail this thread   ;))
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

Lizard

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »
So....I had my hearing test today and there is not much of a change in loss, but they want me to come in and talk to my neurotologist anyway.  The audiologist was concerned that due to the range of my loss (which apparently is most severe in the range where people speak),  as well as the tinnitus and the distortion to that sound, I should really get a hearing device. 

She also explained that when sound is coming at you across the same level (decibel) the good ear picks up the sound and the bad ear basically ignores it.  This makes sense as to why even with some hearing I have directionality problems and issues when there is a lot of background noise almost as though I am SSD.

I guess I'll wait and see what the Dr says in a couple weeks.  She did recommend that I continue to get my hearing tested yearly especially if I get a hearing device of some kind.  I also brought the results to my neurosurgeon and he was also happy to see that I followed up with it as well.

Thanks all for your input, I feel much more informed (As always)
 :D

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt