Author Topic: BAHA Surgery yesterday!! WOOT WOOT  (Read 7926 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Surgery yesterday!! WOOT WOOT
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 08:25:44 am »
Susan -

reading about your experience just verifies for me that docs do things differently.

I had the hat like you - complete with smiley face stickers - but I didn't have to change my gauze at all; I was able to remove the "hat" and gauze and toss them 24 hours post op. 

I also was able to shower - holding a cup over my BAHA site - once my hat was removed, so I was able to go back to work with clean hair.   

I had the "dent" - which I like to refer to as a divot - for about a week to ten days, but eventually the area rises and the divot isn't as pronounced.  In the end the abutment is actually very close to the skin.  Numbness lasted a while, but at the time of my BAHA surgery, my head was still numb from my AN surgery.

One of my favorite things during the healing process was reaching up and running my fingertip over my abutment to hear the sound it would make; a very nice preview of positive things to come.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Goldie

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 06:22:35 pm »
Okay, stitches?  I didn't hear anything about stitches.  I can't really see it so I'm not sure what all is going over there. 

I had my BAHA surgery on Oct. 8 so am in recovery mode too.  I think I have about four stitches that are supposed to dissolve eventually.  I also have instructions to brush it - but not for 6-8 weeks.  I was able to shower after 24 hours so feel for your wait!  Hang in there, Susan.  It'll feel SO good to wash your hair!   :)

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 10:39:07 pm »
I'm too chicken to feel for a dent yet?  The family says I have foam stuffed next to the screw right now. I've been trying like crazy to get as much of the sticky crap out of my hair as possible.  Currently it doesn't look as bad as it feels.  As long as no one touches my hair at work, I will be okay till Wed.  It feels like I have a straw hat on.   I cannot wait to wash this mess.
It is amazing how different all the docs are though.  I will interested to see if I have stitches that have to be removed or if it's just glue.  Remember I had not stitches or staples after my AN surgery either, just glue.
Talk to you soon,
Susan
Happy Halloween to everyone! ::)
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 08:44:26 am »
Can't recall if I had stitches or not.  If I did they were the dissolving kind since I know my doc didn't remove any post op.

Once you are able to shampoo, Susan, try the Dawn it works wonders on "gunk" and "goop".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 12:50:50 pm »
Congrats on your surgery, I look forward to following along to your "gotcha" day! 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"