Author Topic: It could be worse!  (Read 2079 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
It could be worse!
« on: May 27, 2006, 04:14:45 pm »
Hi all!

I'm a 63-year-old man who has enjoyed good health for all of my life...until now.

I was diagnosed with a 4.5 cm AN on May 10th, following an MRI scan ordered by my primary physician after I had foolishly ignored various symptoms, including a total (but very gradual) hearing loss in my left ear, and finally made an appointment with the doctor.  On receiving the news, "O.K., I can do this" was my thinking at that time.  After a few unproductive surgical consults, I selected a neurosurgeon (Dr. Issac Goodrich of New Haven, CT) to perform the operation.  He has years of experience removing AN's and is fairly conservative in his approach, which works for me.  We set a date of June 1 for the surgery, then he moved it up to May 24th.  Now, the plot thickens.  During the pre-op tests, I had a CT scan of my chest and it showed a tumor on my liver.  Oh no!  Dr. Goodrich immediately canceled the AN surgery until that 'issue' could be resolved.  I was referred to an oncologist and it was obvious to me that he strongly suspected that I had cancer.  Things looked grim and my AN was now far less important than a week before.  Last week (23rd) I underwent a biopsy of the 'dark spot' on my liver and on Thursday my wife and I received the good news: the 'tumor' was really a hemangioma, which is benign.  Whew!  What a week.

Friday, we again met with Dr.Goodrich and while he was elated over the news of 'no cancer', he candidly admitted that he thought I was going to be declared to have terminal liver/lung cancer and he would have had no good reason to put me through the AN surgery if I only had a year - or less - to live.  Fortunately, that is not the case and we happily re-scheduled surgery for the removal of my AN for Wedenesday, June 7th, at the Hospital of Saint Raphael in New Haven, CT.

While I'm a bit apprehensive about the possible negative after-effects of the upcoming surgery, I have a positive attitude, am in good general health and trust in the Lord to see me through it all.  My wife and (adult) son are absolute rocks and have given me as much help and support as any man could wish.  Right now, this is as good as it gets until I actually have the tumor removed and can start down the road to recovery, which I pray will be rapid and complete.

The one positive aspect of last weeks emotional trauma - when I thought I might not see another year - is that , while the AN surgery is serious and pretty much consumes my life right now, I have complete faith that I will certainly survive it and come out in much better shape, eventually, if not immediately.  I am grateful for the information I've been able to garner from this site - and this forum - and I am encouraged by the good attitude most of the AN sufferers posting here have - and which I share.

Informationally: my surgeon, using the retrosigmoid method of removal, intends to take the tumor down to about 2 or 2.5 cm and avoid the vital facial nerves.  He will shrink the remainder with radiation, 3 or 4 months post-op.  It's a conservative approach that I completely approve of as nerve damage and post-op problems are my biggest concern.   Even with the angst my upcoming AN surgery holds, it still beats having a malignant liver or lung tumor.  I'm good with that.  ;)

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

Re: It could be worse!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 04:41:35 pm »
Wow, what a story...You'll def. be in my prayers for a speedy recovery!

It's amazing how this can change ones perspective on things. 

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 05:32:41 pm »
Wow...what a story.  And I thought I'd had a rough couple months with my diagnosis.  I'm so glad for you that things are turning out better than they could have.  I've been reminded of how much it could be worse this last week when I've found out that a good friend's daughter is in the hospital with encephalitis and kidney failure.  Once again, if you have to have something go wrong in your brain area, I'd take what I have over all kinds of things, especially encephalitis.  I'm crossing my fingers she will survive.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.  I'm having Translab on 7/5 for a 3.1 cm.  At thiis point I'm sooooo ready to have it done so I can get on with my life. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 06:23:38 pm »

Wow .. glad to hear your doing well .. us Connecticut folk are a strong group !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:54:28 am »
Jim,

Sounds like a good plan your doc has. Welcome to our club.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Obita

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 05:53:45 am »
Jim Scott:

Best of luck to you.......what a roller coaster of emotions you and your family have gone through.  You found out first hand AN's are traumatic but not the end of the world!!  Be ready for a whole lot of laying around......the less you do after surgery the faster you will heal. 

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines