Author Topic: HIPAA violation?????  (Read 7812 times)

nanramone

Re: HIPAA violation?????
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 05:57:56 pm »
I suggested the "spy" because I was stunned that my very own boyfriend (ex, now) logged on to this site to read my posts.

Everyone knows that there is not much that will stop a company from digging up as much private info as they can, in order to reach their target. That's why so many weird entities ran credit checks on me this past year, in order to decide if I was a good "hit"..the info they garnered helped them make decisions about whether to send me pre-approved credit cards, pre-determined insurance amounts, etc...and I do not doubt that there are possible interlopers here, as well, looking for people who might need a hearing aid!

But that's just me...not paranoid, just very aware...

Nancy

lori67

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 06:26:48 pm »

Man, Lori is going to be soooooo jealous  :D

Show off!    :P
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 06:30:18 pm »
All of the points made previously are valid.

However, there are a lot of ways to  "estimate" this kind of information without actually looking at any information that might be considered private.

The block-level census data is often used to develop mailings based on statistical estimates. If a company has a product that is geared to specific customer type, they can profile the likelihood of that type existing in an area. Through studying census data, combined with the additional surveys like the Current Population Survey or the General Social Science Survey, one can determine that there x number of individuals over the age of 50 and y% are likely to have hearing problems. Combining that information with public records like phone books recent home sales or real estate tax records, an organization can make some cost-effective mailings that are pretty well targeted.

Of course, some information they purchase. If you use a discount card at the grocery store, that is another potential avenue for information. Over the course of a year, your purchases can tell a "dataminer" a lot about you.

Jim's right - there is precious little privacy left in the world.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

nanramone

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 08:21:42 pm »
Tod - darn those statisticians! My auto insurance just increased because I don't have a credit card!!! How about that?  ;-)

Tod

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 08:34:57 pm »
Nanramone, I won't even touch that one. My car insurance went up because we let the insurance company know that my son had his truck at college. Out in the middle of nowhere Virginia costs me an additional $100/month. I suspect it has to do with the fact the county is moonshine capitol of the state, if not the nation.

But yes, it is all based on statistical likelihoods in order to balance risk and exposure.

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07:24 pm »
My car insurance went up because we let the insurance company know that my son had his truck at college. Out in the middle of nowhere Virginia costs me an additional $100/month. I suspect it has to do with the fact the county is moonshine capitol of the state, if not the nation.

As a former auto insurance salesman I can tell you that the rise in your auto insurance premiums probably had as much to do with having a child under 25 on your policy than where his vehicle is located.  However, as you correctly noted: "it is all based on statistical likelihoods in order to balance risk and exposure" - the basis of insurance 'underwriting' - so the location of your son's vehicle, as well as the age, make and type of vehicle (if he carries collision coverage) and his annual mileage driven are all factored into the premium.  The underwriter probably saw the new location as well as  the fact that your son is no longer living with you as increasing the risk of his having an accident and subsequently raised your premium.  Had you not notified your auto insurance carrier about your son's vehicle being relocated (generating a higher premium) and had he filed a claim, it would have been honored but your policy might not have been renewed, so you did the legal, ethical thing but, as is often the case, doing the right thing has a cost. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »
Jim, I'm sure you are correct. I did discuss this further and it was told it was substantially because of the location. And since I the truck is in my name, with full coverage, darn right it has collision. Quite frankly though, I have no doubt that the accident rate out there is quite high. It is about as middle of nowhere as you can get in Virginia with some wicked, nasty narrow roads. Topic for a different forum though.

tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

lori67

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 05:53:48 pm »
Let me guess, Tod...he goes to Tech?  That is pretty much the middle of nowhere!  Perhaps there is a higher than average incidence of hitting a cow?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tod

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 06:23:00 pm »
Ooops, no Lori.

The Blacksburg/Christianburg/Radford metropolitan looks likes Manhattan compared to Ferrum. The town barely exists and Franklin County produces 3/4s of million gallons of moonshine each year...a good portion of which is sold to VT and RU students.

Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

lori67

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 07:13:45 pm »
Yes, then I guess he is truly in the middle of nowhere!  Oh well, someone has to keep all those kids supplied with moonshine!   :D