Author Topic: Hey, what is that thing on your head?  (Read 2880 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Hey, what is that thing on your head?
« on: September 01, 2010, 03:34:45 pm »
I was visiting my Dad for his 89th birthday this past week, and while waiting for my flight, I got in line for a cup of coffee. A young man in his 20's behind me asked what is that thing on your head? I explained about  the BAHA, and the woman behind him said she is SSD and was very interested. She is as engineer, and just is starting medical school. I gave her Cochlear's web site and she was VERY excited. For all of you out there who think a BAHA looks pretty strange behind your ear, I feel like mine is a show piece, and it may have made a big difference this young ladies life.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Hey, what is that thing on your head?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:42:57 pm »
Good for you, James.

Educating people about the BAHA is what it's all about.  You never know when they - or a loved one - could benefit from the information.  Lots of people are SSD from reasons other than an AN, plus there are cases (besides SSD) where the BAHA works.

When I was on vacation in NJ a few months ago, a man standing behind me in line at the movie theater asked about my BAHA.  He had seen me take it off my head and change the battery.  Coincidentally he happened to be wearing a conventional hearing aid.  He'd never heard of a BAHA and said he was going to ask his doctor if one would work for him.

So, I say, spread that BAHA love.  It's important news for lots of people.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:13:27 pm »
Yep James & Jan .... way to go by enlightening those folks. 

Today, at a retirement party (not mine ....boo hoo!), I was discussing hearing loss with a guy who was a radioman in the Navy for 30 years .... who had hearing loss all that time.  I too explained my baha, and he seemed interested.  So if he contacts me, I'll certainly give much info.

Last week, I gave similar info to a man with a 7-year old with SSD.  He too seemed interested, so I'm ready to pass him info too.

It feels good to have the chance to explain baha, now that I'm fitted with one.  Mine is "glacier white" ... but I thought of slightly decorating a couple of the extra white covers in the baha-box.  Who knows .... it might raise added interest, for which I'm ready.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 05:33:13 pm »
I agree with all of you. I am in nursing school and I show it to all the professors, most of them have no knowledge about it. I call it my third ear and I have no problem showing it off! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:13:53 am »
I don't mind showing my BAHA off either and really get excited when someone is interested.  I had to take my cat to the vet and wasn't wearing that day because I left my house with wet hair.  When I kept having a problem hearing the vet (we was standing on n my deaf side) I finally told him I was SSD.  It turned out that his father was a retired cop who had lost hearing in one ear when a suspect got hold of his gun and tried to shoot him.  The gun went off so close to his ear he lost his hearing.  No one had ever mentioned BAHA to him.  The vet was really impressed and when I brought my cat in for a recheck the next week, I showed him my Divino and explained how it worked and how simple the surgery was.  He told his dad and they plan to look into it and see if he is a candidate.  I'm always happy to spread the word about BAHA when I think it will help someone.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 07:25:14 am »
There was a great article here in New York a young boy around 7 had 2 implants and is working with a speech pathologist and now he does not have to travel to a special school far away from his home.. Now he can stay here and go to a regular school because of the implants... Yeah for this young boy now going to try to have a normal life and be with other kids. Just hoping that the other children do not treat him differently that is the only hurdle that he will be treated no different then anyone else..

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:13 am »
Sounds like a wonderful story.

I don't think the other kids will treat him differently.  Apparently from what I've heard from my "hearing loss professionals", things like BAHAs, Cochlear Implants, and even conventional hearing aids are considered kind of "cool" among the younger crowd.  These days, CIs and hearing aids are available in bright, loud colors (think pink, green, purple, etc.) and Cochlear is working on BAHAs in the same shades.

I don't think something that "wild" is for me - I'm happy with my brown processor that blends in very nicely with my hair - but lots of people are opting for them.

It's a changing world and I think it's changing for the better.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways