Author Topic: Possible AN - need help for Dad  (Read 3815 times)

BJG1

Possible AN - need help for Dad
« on: May 05, 2005, 12:41:40 pm »
Hi!  I have been searching around on the internet to try to help my dad.  He is 78 years old and was a miner for over 40 years.  I tell you that because he has a bad hearing loss (has gotten progressively worse as he aged) but we always attributed it to blasting in the mine.  Over the last 5 years he has had tinnitus and has been dizzy - not vertigo with vomiting, but dizzy every time he gets up and walks.  It is not just that short dizziness like when you stand up too fast.  This does not subside.  He doesn't fall, just feels off dizzy.  Now it has started to affect him while sitting and driving - not a good thing.  He has been to a neurologist 5 years ago.  They didn't do an MRI or anything.  He is going back again.  He's been checked for inner ear infections - no go there.  His arteries are fine and though he has heart defribulation, he takes medicine and his blood pressure is good.  I have been reading about Parkinsons, brain tumors, and epilepsy but he doesn't seem to fit into anything in those categories either.  After reading about AN, I am thinking this could be a possibilty and something I want him to get checked for.  He has hearing loss, dizziness, and constant ringing in his ears.   Did anyone have dizziness like this?  Were you all diagnosed by an ENT or a neurologist?

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Possible AN - need help for Dad
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 12:51:11 pm »
I can hear your pain regarding you father, your concern is genuine and heartfelt.  As for your father he needs to see an ENT.  They can set him up for hearing tests, word recognition tests, and balance tests.  This will help to see what ear is affected if any.  From there they can go to an MRI with contrast if need be to see if he has an AN.  I really don't have dizzyness, but there are times when I feel "dreamy" but in control of myself and surroundings.  Feel free to post here, there are a few people who post who are not the ones with the AN.  Hope this helps.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Texas Gal

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 01:53:31 pm »
Sweetie, call Dr.Thomas Graham...903-595-2441.  I am a surivor of an AN, due to this man.  I had a large AN against my brain stem.  He is the BEST!!!!  Karla Teacher2b@prodigy.net

Russ

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 01:20:05 pm »
Hi BJG1
  The MRI is vital!!  If it proves your Dad does indeed have an acoustic neuroma, the Gamma Knife may be best for him because of his age. It is true, AN does generally produce more of a dizziness situation than rotational vertigo as found in Menieres Disease.
  Do take care!!   -Russ

Karla

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 11:23:53 am »
Look into the x-knife procedure, instead of gamma.   Karla