Author Topic: Betahistine for Tinnitus?  (Read 12410 times)

evelyn

Betahistine for Tinnitus?
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:34:26 pm »
My  1 cm acoustic neuroma was discovered in January 2010 by MRI. My doctor suggests I try betahistine for my tinnitus which is bad at times. I can’t find a local source for betahistine and I can’t find any data regarding betahistine’s effectiveness in treating tinnitus. Does anyone have any experience or information regarding betahistine and tinnitus?

Lizard

Re: Betahistine for Tinnitus?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:32 am »
Can't say I've heard of this, but if you find out any information please do share.  I suggest giving your Dr's office a call and try to get more info.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:49 am »
From what I`ve researched Betehistine has been around a while and is used for Meniere's desease. No real pros or cons and kind of questionable.  May be one of those types of drugs which may help some and may not others. experiment? Best wishes, Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:59:51 am »
Evelyn ~

Betehistine is usually prescribed for vertigo.  I'm a bit skeptical that it can help alleviate tinnitus because some quick internet research didn't turn up any claims or evidence that it was effective in reducing tinnitus.  However, I found sources that claimed it may be great for weight loss, so it's probably worth trying, although you may have to order it online if you can't find a local supplier.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JimmyD

• Don't sweat the small stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:04:39 am »
I was watching a show yesterday (The Doctors)about Tinnitus.They said it is caused by the Brain trying to compensate for the hearing loss by making it's own sound.They have an ear piece that you wear for several months that  plays music .They monitor the music input to find out what you adapt to thus tricking the brain into thinking your hearing is normal.They say it is a fix not a cure.
Glioma Tumor left optic nerve 1960,RS AN 2.2CM FSR 5 treatments @JHH by Dr Williams in 1999 & LS AN 2.6CM 30 treatments 2007 by Dr Brian Chon@Centra State,NJ.Blind in L.eye,deaf in R.ear.Test for NF2 came back negative.Doing OK.

Nikita

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:53:17 am »
It is usually prescribed under the name Serc, it is contraindicated if you have any sort of lung function issues, as it can cause Respiratory issues. I was prescribed it for mennier's, that I don't have and never bothered to take it. Dying of an asthma attack is not high on my list of fun things to do. Some people have success with it, but I wasn't going to risk it.