Author Topic: Cochlear BP3  (Read 5417 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Cochlear BP3
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »
My BP100 that was repaired is having another issue.

I keep getting the beeps that indicate the battery is low and has about one hour until it dies.  The only problem is, the battery is just fine  :P  This has been happening three or four times a day since I got it back from Cochlear  ::)

The interesting part is that Cochlear actually caused this problem.

When my BP100 was returned to me, it had a clear rubber insert near the place where the battery goes.  At first I thought it was just to keep it from getting damaged during shipping, but I didn't remove it - I simply lift part of it to insert the battery.  I finally got around to asking Cochlear if I should remove this piece and this is what I was told:

"The rubber insert is something new - go ahead and leave it on. The beeping is probably being caused by the batteries not making full contact, which is something that the new hatch design is supposed to remedy. If you continue to experience that beeping, please let us know when you would like to send it back for repair again. And please accept our apologies for the hassle!"

Before I got this email from Cochlear, I contacted my audiologist about this issue, and she told me the following:

"All devices that are being sent in for repair as of last week are being replaced with the new BP3 device which is a step above the BP100.

With the new device there are a few new things: 1. GORE-TEX membranes and the internal battery hatch protect the processor against the intrusion of water and moisture. This new battery lining also helps against feedback from leaking out of the battery hatch. 2. The program/volume control buttons are much easier to use and you can actually feel when you push it down in addition to hearing the beep."

I'm going to send my BP100 back and see what happens.

Will keep you posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

Re: Cochlear BP3
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:12:51 am »
Sorry you're having so many issues with the BP100, hopefully they fix the issue for you.  I know how much you love that device.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

lori67

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:37:57 am »
Hmmm....so if I send in my Divino, will I get an upgrade? 

That would be nice!  However, with my luck, they'll be able to repair mine!   :-\

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

hearncl

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:29:56 am »
When my BP100 was returned a couple of weeks ago (repair of cracked case) it came with a little brochure explaining the rubber battery hatch cover. I never had a problem with the program/volume buttons, but now there is a slight resistance or click when they are pushed. So perhaps I got the BP3 version. Fortunately I haven't had the battery contact issue.

Surprising to me, Cochlear apparently can't download BP100 custom settings and restore them after repairs are made. (There is a discussion of this in the Cochlear forum, http://www.cochlearcommunity.com/baha/forums/categories/3762/.) My BP100 came back with default settings, requiring a trip to the audiologist to restore the custom settings. I expected her to be able to upload the programming from the previous session, but the present Cochlear fitting software doesn't allow for saving/restoring settings. She had to manually make all the adjustments from a printout of the previous session. Hopefully, Cochlear will eventually upgrade their fitting software to address this problem.

phonake

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:53:06 am »

I got my Baha last week & may be that's why my Audiologist didn't recommend to me. First at all I was a little bit upset for not having
new BP100 . She told me they have a bit problem for BP100 & didn't work out well yet . Now I'm wearing Divino only.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:09:12 pm »

I got my Baha last week & may be that's why my Audiologist didn't recommend to me. First at all I was a little bit upset for not having
new BP100 . She told me they have a bit problem for BP100 & didn't work out well yet . Now I'm wearing Divino only.

I wonder how your audiologist got a hold of Divino since Cochlear stopped making them months ago for the new BP100.  Did they have some leftovers stored in stockroom somewhere at Cochlear America?
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:19:35 pm »
hearn -

not surprised by the programming problem you mention.

Cochlear told me if my BP100 was custom programmed they would mail it back to my audiologist instead of me.  When I checked with my audiologist she said they could mail it directly back to me, which they did.

Interesting you got a brochure with your rubber "insert" - I got no explanation and was really puzzled by that  ???

Cochlear reps are supposed to ask wearers where to return their repaired unit.  If wearers aren't sure, they should check with their audiologist.

Phonake -

Ken is right.  The Divino is no longer being manufactured by Cochlear.  Are you sure that's what you received?

Liz -

the middle button not working was really the only problem with my BP100 - until Cochlear created the battery issue themselves by giving me the insert.  I do love my BP100 though and I'm anxious to get it fixed - or replaced with a BP3.  

The battery beep is really just annoying, but for what I paid for the processor and given the fact that's still under warranty, I don't want to just let the problem go.  Cochlear will take care of it.  I'm confident of that.

Lori -

you never know.  The Divino is supposed to be "maintained" by Cochlear for the next 5 years.  If it can't be "maintained" they may just have to replace it with something new.  At least that's my thought.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

phonake

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »

Hi Jan... Yes, I am sure it is Divino .I am really sprite divino is not any more . May be they got these from leftover from stockroom.
Before I get Divino I was complaining too but she said divino has so many like update device. Anyway I'm from Toronto Canada & it
was sad to know divino is not any more . 

I though she is good ( my audiologist ) .....  >:(     

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 05:02:16 pm »
Apparently, I was a little confused by my audiologist's explanation of the BP3  ???

When I asked my Cochlear rep Diane (yes, we're on a first name basis  ;D ) about my change from the BP100 to the BP3, it turns out it's not a change at all - just a "spiffed" up BP100.

Here is her response to my email:

"It is not exactly correct that BP100's needing repairs are "Replaced" with BP3's.

They are upgraded during the repair process -- it is a transformation into the BP3 by refurbishment.

In other words, the BP100's and the BP3's are largely the same device, with the BP100's being called BP3's once they undergo the upgrade."

So, I'm sorry if I led anyone astray  ::)

Phonak -

I'm not sure how things work in Canada - maybe the US branch of Cochlear (and the processors currently used) are different.

The Divino may be the latest and greatest in Canada - I don't know.

I see no reason to doubt your audiologist - or to be unhappy with her - I'm sure she has your best interests at heart.

Jan

phonake

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:24:37 am »

Hi Jan ,

Sorry for my late reply ... things are same as US & Canada .. we r not far right ' ..some of my friends got BP100
they all no need pay too .. first at all thanks for every one here because I was reading every day & I can make my decision to choose for BAHA.
I can gear well enough for 90% of my hearing . Also I am not much wearing my left side hearing aid for now.
    Only one problem is my Divino has some intermittent problem. Every body has same problem ?   :-[

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:54:22 am »
Phonak -

sorry to hear about your Divino.

If it needs to be repaired you should contact your audiologist or Cochlear directly (www.cochlearamericas.com)

If it's still under warranty, Cochlear will ask that you ship it back to them (they will pay for the shipping) and they will repair it free of charge.

If it's not still under warranty, you will be charged for the repairs.  I don't know about the shipping.

My BP100 has been returned to them twice now - once for a problem they caused during the first repair - and it is under warranty.

In fact, it's there right now.  I'm hopeful I'll get it back very soon.  Repairs generally take 5 business days.

Good luck,

Jan

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:15 am »
OK, so after reading these posts, I contacted my audiologist and asked if my BP100 could be upgraded to the BP3....especially since the box has not even been open yet.  My date for "going live" isn't until September 30th.  She told me that all the devices they are getting from Cochlear, since August 1st, have been BP3s.  So, she called Cochlear for me and this is the response I got from her:

Hi Dale,

I spoke with Cochlear this morning (a Stephanie).  She stated there is no difference in the processor between the two devices and the cosmetic upgrades were for potential feedback (whistling) issues and functionality of the device (ie, changing programs, volume via the buttons).  At this point, they want you to keep the BP100, but if you have any problems with it, ie feedback, difficulty changing programs/volume, we could send it in and they'll make those upgrades (sounded like it'd be a retro-fit to the BP100 vs the Baha 3, BUT, the Baha 3 is essentially a BP100 w/ modifications).

I'm making a note of this and putting it on your processor box, in case we need it in the future

So, I guess I will have the BP100 and see if I have any feedback issues.  Interesting, the new ones are actually labeled as BP3 and if the BP100s go back they get a "retrofitting".
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 06:41:58 am »
Dale -

your audiologist is correct - the BP3 is basically a modified BP100.  Why they "changed" the name is beyond me - very confusing IMO.

The changes made to my BP100 when I returned it (for the issue with the programming button), consisted of a rubber insert in the battery area and new buttons across the top of the unit.  Beyond that it's the same processor I sent in - same serial number, same inter-workings, etc.  The battery cover fits a lot better - it didn't really sit right originally - and I think that's due to the insert.

Sometimes feedback issues are caused by the feedback manager - something else I find confusing - and the solution can be to simply have your audiologist turn it off.  My feedback manager has been off since day one and I've never had an issue with feedback.

My best advice is see how your processor works once you start to wear it, and if you have any problems whatsoever return it to Cochlear for repairs.  My theory is, as long it's still under warranty, I'll return it ten times if I have to.  Best to get the issues worked out before the warranty expires and it costs you.  It's a shame that people have to resort to this, but Cochlear stands behind their products and makes big efforts to achieve customer satisfaction.  They are very pleasant about dealing with problems - friendly, helpful, etc.

Congrats on the BAHA Gotcha date!   ;D

Jan

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:44:52 am by leapyrtwins »