Author Topic: Disclosure of hearing loss  (Read 10135 times)

iluuvpups

Re: Disclosure of hearing loss
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 09:18:20 am »
SSD = single sided deafness.  For those of us deaf on one side.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 06:34:04 pm »
Tod -

thanks for the info. and thoughts on legality.  Interestingly enough, though, when I applied for unemployment benefits from the state of Illinois I was told that hearing loss of any kind (which I definitely have) is considered to be a disability.

That said, I don't consider myself disabled - but am trying to comply with others' definition of it.

As for the job application, I claimed that I was not disabled - but then I got an email from the HR person stating that my resume was received, and that I would be contacted if there were questions or if they wanted to interview me.  So, I took the opportunity to give a further explanation of my answer.

I replied to the email and stated that I had been SSD for over 3 years, wore a BAHA, and was in on way, shape, or form unable to do the job I had applied for because of that.  I also said that my "disability" had no bearing on the way I did my job for my previously employer - which is the truth.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always lived my life giving full disclosure when I felt it was necessary and in this instance, I felt it was necessary.  If it somehow "costs" me an opportunity to interview for this job, then I'm comfortable with that - as I wouldn't want a job where my "disability" was considered a hindrance.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 05:33:53 am »
Jan,

First, ADA does not specify what level of hearing loss is disabilitating, only that it qualifies.

Second, I would never suggest that legality is the sole arbiter of right and wrong. Many times in my job I raise question, "Okay, legally we can do this, but should we? Is this the moral and ethical thing to do?" I think we should each always make that decision.

As for me, right now I feel somewhat disabled by being SSD. I wrestle with why that is since I didn't have much hearing on the left side the year prior to surgery. This suggests to me that awareness of the complete loss and my natural emotional response is more of an issue than the actual loss. My only real challenges in functioning for work are large meetings and formal dinners. Both are only occasional and will simply take some more time to get used to.

I posted the legal info so that folks can protect themselves and be aware of what the law is. No person but yourself will really have your best interests at heart. However, as with anything, you have to pick your own best path in life.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 05:42:43 am »
Totally understand, Tod.

Morally and ethically if I'm asked do I have a disability, I'm inclined to disclose my hearing loss.  But I recognize that what is right for me might not be right for another who is SSD.

As for your own hearing loss, I've found that the BAHA has done wonderful things for me - both in my personal life and in my business life.  If you haven't tried the demo yet, I highly recommend it.  If you think that another surgery isn't something you're interested in, I'd try the TransEar.  Those who wear them really like them.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:08 am »
Jan,

Dec 1 is when we officially start the BAHA evaluation process. That appointment has been set for about three months now. I'm looking forward to it. After just having a my third surgery for my vocal cords this past Friday, another surgery seems a minor consideration.

For some reason, my docs feel like I have been through enough and want to have a very moderate pace.

Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

carter

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
i am copying form another site ...  too much info?   http://www.jobinterviewquestions.org/questions/disability-questions.asp

this is stratigh forward - but long ... hope this helps.

Is it legal for a job interviewer to ask me if I have a disability?

No. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits questions about medical conditions; past hospitalizations; nature and severity of disabilities; and other related matters on job applications and in job interviews.

Unfortunately, some employers persist in asking questions that are prohibited under the ADA. This places job applicants in the uncomfortable position of deciding how to respond.

What type of question is an interviewer allowed to ask?

An employer may ask you whether you can perform the job-related functions, as long as they don’t phrase the questions in terms of the disability. For example, if driving a vehicle is a function of the job, the employer may ask if you have a driver’s license. However, they may not ask if you have a visual disability that would prevent you from driving.

Do I have to tell the truth about my disability?

It is recommended that you never lie on a job application or job interview. The employer could have a legitimate justification to fire you later on if it’s revealed that you lied. Some courts have ruled that lying on a job application or in an interview is a legitimate ground for firing an employee, even if there is evidence that the firing was also motivated by unlawful discrimination.

Can the interviewer ask about gaps in my employment history if those gaps were related to my disability?

Under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), potential employers cannot ask certain questions at a job interview that would result in the applicant revealing information about the existence or nature of a disability.

Questions about gaps in employment history are likely to lead to information about an applicant’s disability and are therefore arguably illegal. However, until the courts and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) clarify the issue, the law on this question is unsettled.

What should I do if an interviewer asks me unlawful questions about my disability?

There is no easy answer. If you are asked a question at a job interview that is not allowed under the ADA and you answer the question, you may be revealing information that the law allows you to keep private, at least at that stage of the job application process.

There are two basic issues for you to consider: (a) do you want to get the employer to change the illegal job application or interview process or (b) do you want to get the job? Accomplishing both objectives at the same time may be difficult.

If your main goal is to pursue the job, you may choose to refuse to answer a question in a nonconfrontational manner. For instance, you could state that you read about a law that prohibits questions of this type during job interviews. This lets you avoid answering the question without giving the employer the impression that you have a disability.

If your main goal is to get the employer to change the illegal interview process, then you can file a complaint with the EEOC or state or local human rights agencies, and ask them to take up the problem of the illegal question with the employer.

What should I do if I encounter an illegal question on a written job application?

You may leave the question blank or ask if you can take the application to fill it out at home. If you are permitted to take the application home, you can show the application to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), NYLPI, other advocacy organizations, or state or local human rights agencies, and ask them to take up the problem of the illegal question with the employer.

If you do this, you can also request that the agency to whom you show the application not reveal your identity to the employer. This may enable you to get the application changed while continuing to pursue the job.

What should I do if I refuse to answer illegal interview questions and then don’t get the position?

The employer has violated the law. You may want to consider filing an administrative complaint with the EEOC or a state or local human rights agency.

If I apply for a job and I am not hired, how do I know if the employer has violated the law and discriminated against me because of my disability?

There is no way to know for certain. This is especially true when an employer doesn’t directly state that you weren’t hired because of your disability or provides no reason at all for not hiring you.

Then, how can I prove that I wasn’t hired because of my disability?

(a) You must show that you are a person with a disability; you were qualified for the job; you were denied the job; and the job either remained open or was given to a person without a disability.

(b) The employer must offer a neutral or non-discriminatory reason for the decision not to hire you, such as the fact that you were not qualified for the job or were not as qualified as another applicant who was hired.

(c) If the employer can meet this burden, then you have to show that the neutral reason given by the employer is not the real reason for the employer’s decision not to hire you, and your disability was the true reason. Any information that you can obtain on these issues prior to filing a complaint will be helpful to your case.

What’s my chance of success if I file a complaint based on disability discrimination by an employer?

Even if you can prove that an employer asked an illegal question on a job application or at an interview, and you can prove that you were not hired as a result of your response to the illegal question, you will not necessarily win an administrative proceeding challenging the employer’s decision not to hire you.

To win an administrative complaint or lawsuit challenging a decision not to hire you, you will also have to prove that you were able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation. You will need concrete evidence that the employer’s decision not to hire you was based, at least in part, on your disability.

Does an employer who asks an illegal job interview question violate the ADA even if they extend a job offer?

The employer may have violated the ADA even if you are offered the job or even if you decide that you do not want the job and withdraw your application before a hiring decision is made. In either of these situations, you may want to ask the EEOC, NYLPI or state or local human rights agencies to investigate and ask the employer to change the application or interview process so that the question is not asked of other applicants.

Does the ADA require employers to give preference to hiring people with disabilities?

No. While the ADA and state and local laws protect people from employment discrimination on the basis of disability, they do not require an employer to hire or promote the person with a disability over other people.

These laws prohibit an employer from refusing to hire or promote or from taking other adverse action against a person because of the person’s disability, if he or she can perform the essential functions of the job.

An employer can, under the ADA, choose a person without a disability with more experience over an individual with a disability even if the individual with the disability is qualified for the job.

An employer can choose a person without a disability over an individual with a disability, if the two individuals are equally qualified, as long as the choice was not made because of the individual’s disability.
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 01:04:09 pm »
It would never occur to me to say I had a disability, with or without a qualification.  I wouldn't feel like I was lying by not disclosing my SSD, because I see it on the same level as my leg that doesn't work quite right because I broke/mangled it 8 years ago, or my eyes that require contacts or glasses to see further than the end of my nose.  ;-)  Those are not disabilities, just less than desireable conditions that I have learned to live with...

Vonda

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 02:39:12 pm »
Jan ~

Although I'm retired and don't have to deal with this situation, this has been an interesting discussion on defining, legally and ethically, what is a disability.  The legal part remains somewhat ambivalent and is clearly situational despite the legal constraints on employers asking job applicants, directly, about any 'disability'.  Apparently, some authorities consider SSD a distinct disability while another does not.  FWIW: I consider my SSD to be an impairment

Ethically, no one condones lying on a job application.  That should be a given.  I agree with your observation that although you don't consider yourself 'disabled', you have to attempt to comply with other people's (employers) definitions.  I believe you answered the disability question in the way I would have but going back and defining your SSD and the utilization of your BAHA for a prospective employer seems prudent.  While I may have waited until an actual interview before making the SSD disclosure (and stating the case that it does not affect your job performance in any way) you got it out in the open, as it were, and if it is a barrier to being hired, you may as well know that upfront and not waste time interviewing for a job that you won't be offered because of your SSD, although I'm sure the prospective employer wouldn't be foolish enough to mention your alleged 'disability' as a reason for rejecting your application.  In my later working years, I found my age (55+) to be an amorphous issue that was never, ever mentioned but that, I guessed, probably cost me a few job opportunities.  Employers can't ask your age and it was never mentioned, but when your interviewer and prospective boss is clearly 20 or more years younger than you are, it has to be a factor, spoken ore not.  I always wanted to say that I was 'young at heart' but doubted the prospective employer would appreciate the latent irony and so, I just accepted that ageism was a fact of life and I dealt with it as best I could.  So, too, with your SSD.  I hope you'll be considered for the position in question despite the SSD and I trust that you'll be gainfully employed very soon.

Jim           
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CNY

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 03:12:06 pm »
SSD=Single Sided Deafness
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 07:35:54 pm »
Thanks for the input Carter and Jim.

I think it's best for me to do what I do in every situation, follow my heart and my instincts.

Here's hoping this unemployment business is short-lived.

Prayers, please!

Tod -

I hope your BAHA evaluation process goes well.  My BAHA surgery is hands down one of THE best things I've ever done for myself. 

If you have any questions that I can answer for you regarding the BAHA, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »
Hi,all,

It's been a LONG time since I've been on this forum, but thought I'd add my two cents anyway.  Lauren, I think your decision is the right one for you.  Disclosing your hearing loss to co-workers should be enough.  I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering from headaches and hope your graduation from nursing school will help you see the end of them.

Jan - I'm so sorry to hear you are currently unemployed and hope you find a new job soon.  Having met you this summer, I would never have guessed you are SSD if I hadn't already known about it and you weren't wearing your BAHA at the beach, so your hearing must be really great when you are wearing it.  I am going to start looking for a job soon myself and have been wondering about this very subject, so I'm glad I tuned in!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 10:12:46 am »
Thanks, Wendy  ;D

Been unemployed since 8/31, but hopefully won't be unemployed for long.  Lots of people helping me look for work - some I've never even met in person  8)

It's been kind of refreshing to know so many people care about me and are willing to help. 

Good luck with your own search.

Jan