Author Topic: I'm getting an occipital nerve block  (Read 52444 times)

Lizard

Re: I'm getting an occipital nerve block
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2010, 10:20:22 am »
  When I had to have surgery to remove my kidney soon after my AN surgery, I was the most anxious about having head pain and brainwrecks while I was hospitalized. 
staypoz 

I only have one kidney too  :)
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

staypoz

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2010, 10:30:30 am »
I think there is someone else on the forum who also has one kidney.  Our own sub-club!  Is your remaining kidney on the same side as your AN was?  I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but my kidney, AN, and knee surgeries were all on the same side!   

staypoz

Lizard

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2010, 12:39:11 pm »
Too funny, my one kidney is on the opposite side from my AN....coincidence or not still could make for a pretty cool story  ;)
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2010, 02:30:41 pm »
I have one and a half kidneys ...does that count for anything ???

left kidney is only partially functional ... damaged in an accident leaving scar tissue and now get kidney stones on a regular basis because of narrowing that doesn't allow urine to fully empty and stones get stuck and sometimes have to be retrieved ... prone to infections and also have issues related to lupus with both kidneys at times  ...have had surgery to widen opening  ... kidney is enlarged from backing up and just kinda aches alot of the time ... damage they say is not reversable 

when I was diagnosed with diverticulitis several years ago it wasn't until I was burning up with a fever and went in thinking kidney infection ... I had been hurting and just didn't go in because I was tired of looking at doctors ... urinalysis came back good and they did a MRI and found the inflamed infected diverticula ... I am sometimes my own worse enemy medical wise ... just so used to hurting I didn't pay attention when things were getting worse ...

that is something that worries me with head pain ...getting used to it and not heeding warnings if something else is going on
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Lizard

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2010, 06:03:23 am »
Soundy, I think you're part of the club too....1 and a 1/2 kidneys is less than 2 so you're in!  I know the feeling, Dr's say you should watch the patterns of your headaches and if they change to see them right away, but how do you know when you're head is just a mess all the time.  I hear ya...
Take care,
Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2010, 09:31:43 am »
Dear Members of the club,
As I was sitting watching the screening on the ultrasound two days ago, I was thinking of all of you and hoping she wouldn't find anying like a stone or a tumor since the doc's office called and said the urine test was neg. and there was blood.   Whew, she said I looked good and sent me home untreated.   

By 9 p.m. I was in the ER complaining of extreme pain and yes, this time the urine test was positive and I had a uriniary tract infection.   At least we knew what it is and spent yesterday morning in bed sleeping.   Now I have antibiotics and more pain pills to take.   Will see the urologist on Monday to make sure it isn't something more.    Just take as many meds as we do for these post op headaches sets us up for liver and bladder problems.   I feel like the prophet of doom, but I want to get off these drugs and start living a doctor free life like my father...all he takes is the one little thyroid pill in the morning at age 95, not even a pill for arthritis.   No headaches.   The big question is how do we get to be pain free and doctor free so that our organs stand a chance to survive?

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Lizard

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2010, 09:19:47 am »
Mei Mei,
I was never a sick person before the AN, so I didn't really go to the pharmacy a lot, now they all know me by name.  What I wouldn't do to get off these meds...
Happy you're UTI is feeling better!
Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2010, 09:56:29 am »
Thanks, Liz...This AN is really a Pandora's Box, isn't it?

Stay cool...

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

moe

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2010, 12:00:16 pm »

The big question is how do we get to be pain free and doctor free so that our organs stand a chance to survive?

THAT is a good question, and only time will tell. You have to give yourself up to 5 years post op (I'm serious!) Traumatic Brain Injury guidelines say so and that's what we had with this surgery.
AN brain surgery= TBI

Hang in there Mei Mei. As you know I don't suffer from headaches, but the tinnitus is so unbearable sometimes, my ear hurts.I cringe at the thought of social events, and I used to like the interactions with people.

I don't like taking antidepressants and anti anxiety meds but until a cure is found, that's the way it's gonna be.

Don't give up, never surrender!  (what was that movie??? Tim Allen, some comedy. TV actors like Star Trek meet with aliens and the aliens think they are real.......)......funny movie.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mei Mei

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2010, 01:02:55 pm »
Hi Maureen,
It's like a prison sentence.  I'll never forget the day the doctor asked me if I had Tinnitus and I realized that I did and until he asked me I'd been walking around used to it because it was happening so gradually and now it's much louder after the surgery.

My bedroom, bureau and nightstand look like a drugstore and I'm sick of it.   Want to put all these bottles away, but keep having these headaches in the middle of the night and well the Tinnitus is the Tinnitus and follows you everywhere...it never goes away as does the lump in the skull and neck.

I just read your post and really relate to you.   I felt so sad.   There's nothing we can do about our situation.   Just keep going to the doctors with hope and not really getting anywhere.

Keep hanging...
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo