Author Topic: FUTURE DIRECTIONS IN GENE THERAPY..Hope  (Read 4417 times)

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
FUTURE DIRECTIONS IN GENE THERAPY..Hope
« on: June 14, 2010, 06:27:54 pm »
Scientists are working on various forms of treatment for acoustic neuromas that do not involve either surgery or stereotactic radiosurgery.  The development of gene therapy may hold the most promise for a future cure of these tumors without surgery.    Research is also ongoing in novel treatment strategies for other tumors that affect the base of the skull.  Patients are involved in clinical trials of neuro-protective agents, which are being studied for their effectiveness at improving hearing preservation, as well as, facial nerve function after surgery for acoustic neuromas.

http://neurosurgery.uthscsa.edu/display_patients.php?ps_id=33&pg=patient_services.php
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

jerseygirl

Re: FUTURE DIRECTIONS IN GENE THERAPY..Hope
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »
Great article! I wonder what are those neuroprotective agents they are talking about.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:26:10 pm »
Interesting link.

Stem Cells are an exciting medical option (if we avoid the moral issue).

For those that do have moral issues with stem cells, please note that doctors have been using stem cells in cancer patients for a long time.

cheers

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

rm516

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
Too complex for me too.. May be some one explain in layman's language

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2010065776&IA=US2009066641&DISPLAY=STATUS
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:34:07 am »
Well there is hope for future generations of ANer's.
Thanks for sharing,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

rm516

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 03:47:59 pm »
This year Weill Medical College of Cornell University  clinical trial of AVASTIN for patients with Vestibular Schwannoma (VS)  - ( not NF2 only)
Clinical trial ends in 2013
http://clinicaltrialsfeeds.org/clinical-trials/show/NCT01083966

opp2

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 08:11:09 pm »
Interesting link.

Stem Cells are an exciting medical option (if we avoid the moral issue).

For those that do have moral issues with stem cells, please note that doctors have been using stem cells in cancer patients for a long time.

cheers

laz

Hey Laz, I'm not certain, but I believe the moral isseus with stem cells are regarding the collection of aborted fetuses for harvesting cells?

There are many thousands of people, like me, who collected stem cells from the placenta after my children were born. Just to put that out there. If my kids can't use their cells, I have no problem donating them after they reach the limit. (we were told at the birth of my eldest that there would not be enough cells likely beyond the 8th year because of the size of the collection and the size of the child.

Am I correct?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 07:46:25 pm »
I'd rathernot get too deep and meaningful on the moral issue re stem cells and whioch ones are eing used etc. I was just trying to say that they are being used now. I'm not sure on the capacity thing.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz