Author Topic: Dr. Arthur L. Day in Houston, Texas  (Read 3943 times)

JWW

Dr. Arthur L. Day in Houston, Texas
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:48:17 pm »
I had a consult with Dr. Arthur L. Day today to go over my MRI and audiogram regarding my L. AN 10mm x 6mm x 6mm. He was wonderful! He spent an hour with me and my husband explaining everything. Going over "watch and wait' vs. "treat it". One thing he advised for me was to wait ONE year instead of 6 months for another MRI of the brain unless I have more symptoms. Right now, I have very mild balance, mild dizziness, some hearing loss after 4000Hz (high frequency), some problems with consonants. When my L. AN was diagnosed by another neurosurgeon (3/19/2012), for an unrelated problem, I thought my hearing issues were on my R. side.

Dr. Day said because I am having issues equally on both sides with my hearing, he would recommend treating sooner than later because he was sure over time my hearing would get worse.
In order to preserve the hearing of the NON affected ear. Also, he would recommend radiation therapy. There is more documentation on GK, he said, but CK was good too. He compared them to a Mercedes vs. a Jaguar. I ask him to check out FSR for me and let me know if his facility does it. He said he would. He did say FSR was more gentle on the tissue but why go thru so many treatments if you don't have to. He recommends one or five.....I don't remember now.

Another thing he said, if you are going to "worry, worry, worry and can't get on with your life"....then by all means "treat it" and get it over with!!!

My plan is to get an MRI in one year unless I have an increase of symptoms!

Kaybo

Re: Dr. Arthur L. Day in Houston, Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:39 am »
I am in Houston also...had my surgery here 16 years ago when I didn't live here (just moved here almost 2 years ago)...Not that I know every Dr but you hear a lot of names on here and I've never heard of him - is he new to this area?  Who is he with?  Just curious about these things! ::)

K   ;D

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JWW

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:22:09 am »
Kaybo, I actually got his name from THIS website! Under "Doctor's in Houston by Sheryl, whose husband saw him in Boston for surgery 2009. He is top rated and moved here in 2010. He is with the Mischer Neuroscience Associates/affiliated with Memorial Hermann Mischner Neuroscience Institute. He is professor and vice chair of Dept. of Neurosurgery at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston.

He is brilliant. I am pretty sure I will go with him for treatment and radiation therapy. He is 65 yrs. old and works with a Dr. Scott R. Shepard.

He spent a long time drawing pictures to explain an AN......taking us thru "watch and wait vs. treat it".......the teacher in him!

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:18:18 pm »
Good to know!  So glad you feel good about him - that is one of the most important parts to all of this!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JWW

Update Re: Dr. Arthur L. Day in Houston, Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »
Update: Decided not to go with Dr. Day but gained ALOT of valuable information from the consult. I believe he can ONLY consult at the Mischer Neuroscience Institute and teach at the University of Texas Medical School.

I now will concentrate on Dr. Todd Trask at Methodist and Dr. Daniel Yoshor at Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Yoshor is affiliated with St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital and does CK.

I have an appointment with a radiation oncologist (Dr. Larry Carpenter) at the Cyber Knife of Houston affiliated with St. Luke' Episcopal Hospital this May 2. He is to explain the pros and cons of CK FSR, and GK.