Author Topic: Happy Mother's Day!  (Read 8807 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Happy Mother's Day!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 12:50:39 pm »
Soundy,

I'm so sorry.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 01:36:30 pm »
Soundy,

How sad.   :(  I know coming to terms with your past must have been very difficult for you.  I hope the time with you have left with your mom is a time for healing old wounds.

I also hope whomever stole her identity is caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Wendy
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 02:43:49 pm »
Soundy ~

My wife experienced a difficult, abbreviated childhood somewhat similar to yours (mentally challenged sibling and 7 other kids in the family that she was responsible for most of the time) but eventually decided to let it go and focus on her life, now.  She's been doing that for most of our marriage (almost 40 years).  Of course, no one can simply 'forget' about the hard, sad parts of a childhood.  My wife hasn't.  She remembers but simply refuses to dwell on those things and considers them so distant and so overwhelmed by the many joys in her life since then, that they no longer have any real effect on her.   Her mother died of cancer in 1982.  We attended the funeral, of course, but my wife's older sister (since deceased) started a fight with her over who sat where in the limousine that drove them from the church to the cemetery (I followed in our car).  She left the cemetery in tears - and not only over the loss of her mother, with whom she had, shall we say, a tenuous relationship that she always wished could have been better.  I'm pleased to learn that you had the opportunity to restore your relationship with your mother.

I appreciate your candor in explaining your feelings as your mother, through a horrendous combination of events (identity theft leading to loss of medical coverage) faces a terminal situation, with, as you noted, grace and bravery.  Her request that you handle the family and the final disposition of her ashes is a clear indication that, indeed, your relationship with your mother has definitely been restored.  That being the case, I can understand your sorrow as you face the reality that your time with your mother is rapidly drawing to a premature end.  You and your mother will be in my prayers.  

On a brighter note, I'm glad you got to hear from your son in Iraq.  Like most Americans, I give our military men and women the greatest respect and hope your son will stay safe over there.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 07:28:15 pm »
Didn't mean to toss cold water on this thread ...

I am grateful for the time I will have with my Mom ... the past is past and if anything has made me stronger ... too strong in some ways
several years ago I could barely be in the same room with her ... glad that is in the past ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 05:31:29 am »
A Final Mother's Day Message:

My Mother passed away at 3:38 a.m. - 5-31-2010 (76 yrs). Alzheimer's hastened her death. The official cause of death is noted as Respiratory Failure.  The last 13 months were a sad time for my family and I as Mom lived out her days enduring all that Alzheimer's subjects its victims to. Now that she has passed, we can celebrate her life knowing she is much happier and, in a far better place. Mom is survived by her three children, 8 Grandchildren and 5 Great Grandchildren.

Next Mother's will be a strange one for my Sister's and I.

Thanks!

Doc
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:50:10 am by Doc B »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 06:43:34 am »
Alzheimer's is tough one. I remember just wanting to have an ordinary conversation with my mom, like trying out a new recipe or discussing books or movies.  I'm glad your mom is free and whole now.  Keep your good memories and let go of the hard ones!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 06:57:16 am »
Doc, my dad passed away exactly one year ago today. It is hard, no matter the cause.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 07:00:40 am »
Sorry for your loss ...

But I too believe that she is in a better place ... hugs to you , your sister and all the rest of her family
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 09:56:11 am »
So sorry Doc for the loss of your Mother.  You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 02:38:51 pm »
Doc ~

My condolences on the loss of your mother.  It's always a conundrum when a loved one is suffering and then, inevitably, dies. We're relieved to know their suffering is over but saddened at losing them and having been helpless to stop whatever they suffered with.  I went through that when my mother was felled with a stroke.  She suffered greatly, had to have a leg amputated then died suddenly (still hospitalized) of a second, massive stroke.  She was 66.  Her loss was profound to my sister and I but we were relieved that her suffering had ended.  That was 32 years ago and we still miss mom, so I have a grasp of what you might be feeling, now.

Of course you'll never forget your mother but I can tell you (from experience) that the feeling of loss does subside a bit as time (and life) goes on.  You'll always have your cherished memories of her and as you said, you chose to celebrate her life and not simply focus on her death (and your loss).  That's a sensible, practical way of dealing with the inevitable death of a loved one and I'm pleased to learn that you're taking that approach.  Again, you have my sympathy and prayers for both you and your family at this time. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 02:58:16 pm »
Condolences, Doc B.  Love and prayers to you and your family.

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

moe

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 10:28:00 pm »
Doc,
My condolences to you. No matter that you know she is in a better place, at peace, it is still hard to lose your mother.
I lost my mother at age 63. She lay down for a nap and just didn't wake up.( That's the way I would like to go.) She had diabetes, so they were thinking a silent heart attack.
I was angry that I couldn't say goodbye :'(
 hang in there,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 06:11:45 am »
Doc,

My condolences on your loss. Unfortunately I know too well how Alzheimer's takes it toll. My Mom, who will turn 84 in a couple of days, has been deteriorating from this terrible disease for several years. When I think back just 3 years ago she was a totally different person. We had caregivers for as long as possible to keep her in her own home but finally we had to move her into an Assisted Living facility for Alzheimer patients. She seems content and has not any complaints but it is very sad. I visit her every day I am off from work and she appreciates it but there is so little she can do anymore. we just spend some time together. Very frustrating.

Again, my condolences.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman