Author Topic: I See What You Say  (Read 2439 times)

klg31728

I See What You Say
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:09:57 pm »
Has anyone tried to learn lipreading with the "I See What You Say" Video?  And did it help?  It is so frustrating not to be able to carry on a conversation with background noise going on.
Kathy G.
Surgery 7/97
CSF Leak and another surgery 12/97
regrowth 1/2000
Radiosurgery 2/2000

matti

Re: I See What You Say
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 02:31:14 pm »
No have not tried it, but learning to lip read is at the top of my to do list. Will defintely look into this video.

Thank you
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 04:03:40 pm »
I've never even heard of it.  Sounds like a good idea for all of us...that or sign language.
I haven't agreed to anything bizarre that I know of yet LOL

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 07:05:40 pm »
I have seen that video, but I chose to use a computer application called Seeing and Hearing Speech: Lessons In Lipreading. It's not cheap (the CD-ROM and book are $85), but I really like it. You can read about it and view examples at their website http://www.seeingspeech.com/. You can choose to study the examples three ways: Auditory-Visual, Visual Only, or Auditory Only. You can also adust the amount of background noise to add further challenge. I highly recommend it.

Jeff :)
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

lmurray69

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 07:27:38 pm »
 I have a left side an ,I hear nothing now on the left, the right is also impaired, When i take out my hearing aide I hear very little..The first thing I did was start watching tv no volume and then you can also put caption on to help.It is not a program but its free..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 09:06:08 pm »
I agree with lmurray....just turn the mute button on the TV to practice to see if you can even do it.  I've also seen diagrams out there with phonetical tongue placements.  I was already lip reading before I realized I was doing it...all of a sudden people kept asking me if something was in their teeth because I was staring at their mouth.  Most everyone knows I do that now, after we've talked about it.  Sometimes I have to force myself to look at someone's eyes while talking to them so I don't appear rude (you know, the whole behavioral eye-contact thing).  I don't think you need to spend gobs of money on this, if you've got a friend or family member and a TV to practice on.  It just takes time and commitment if you're trying.  I just picked it up on my own. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jeff

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 09:40:57 pm »
lmurray and gennysmom,

Absolutely, watching the TV without sound is a great way to practice, and I do it regularly. Sometimes I use the Closed Captioning as well. Since the captions are not synchronized with the sound, with the text displaying before or after the person has spoken, it is helpful to confirm what you think you have lipread or know what to watch for. You make an excellent point that the TV is a free and valuable tool. Since I have bilateral AN's, I am really trying to become as proficient as I possibly can. I know that I will be deaf, so I am trying to prepare now. My goal is to have as little disruption in my family's life as possible. We are also learning sign language,, but I can't expect my coworkers to learn ASL for me. I see this as my problem, and I want very badly to, as much as I possibly can, have a solution in which the responsibility rests on me and not others around me, so I am willing to spend some money toward that end.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08