Author Topic: Scared to death  (Read 8670 times)

Sanddollar

Re: Scared to death
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 09:11:23 pm »
LPenink,

While I cannot give you any perspective on the treatments themselves - my surgery is later this month - I can tell you that hearing from others about their experiences has been a blessing.  I, too, was floored when I was diagnosed.  At that visit, one of the doctors recommended that I visit this Web site to get information (when I wasn't freaking out) so that I could better understand AN and the potential treatments. 

Not only did I get information about treatments, I found people that had been treated by the same surgical team that I was considering.  I have had many exchanges with them, have gotten comfortable with a treatment plan and am now focused on getting the AN out of my life - hopefully for good!  I also feel that I am prepared for some of the potential negative outcomes, and while I hope that I do not experience them, at least I won't be caught off guard.  Most doctors are pretty good at discussing the medical side of the equation, but you need to get in touch with those who have experienced a situation to get the personal side of things.

I agree with several of the other posts - do your homework, make a decision, don't look back.  I think you will find that you will be in a peaceful place prior to treatment, and that will aid in your recovery.

Stay positive!

Sanddollar
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

dowdog

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 03:42:11 pm »
So...Lpenink,
What has happened since January.  Did you have the Gamma Knife procedure with Dr. Cerullo?  I also live in the chicago area and plan to call Dr. Cerullo for an opinion on my AN.
I hope everything has gone well for you and would be interested in getting an update on your treatment and current condition.

Thanks
Diagnosed 4/21/06, 10mm right-side AN.  CyberKnife treatment in Feb.2007.

kjneuma

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 08:28:09 pm »
I am a 31 year old female who had a very large acoustic neuroma resected in 1998.  In 2001 a follow up MRI detected a 2nd acoustic neuroma in the same location.  I received Gamma Knife radiation on that tumor and have been following it close for the past 5 years since the Gamma Knife radiation. 
This past weekend a follow up MRI and visit with a neurosurgeon at the Mayo clinic in Rochester Minnesota identified that I need another surgery to resect the tumor again.  I have had no hearing on my left side and facial paralysis since the 1998 surgery.  The Gamma Knife procedure was much easier to tolerate than the resection surgery.  I feel confident that you will be surprised at the process.  The worst part was getting fitted for the headframe (halo) application.  I wish you god speed as you go thru your procedure.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 06:47:14 pm »
Hi -- this is my first post and visit to this site.  I was diagnosed with an AN a year and a bit ago.  It was 5 mm and is now 6 mm.  I am already deaf in my ear and experiencing facial numbness, balance problems, and ear pain.  My doctor is the best and I'm grateful to have him here in Chicago where I live.  People around me are pretty supportive but just don't know what to say.  So I've come here to you guys because I'm guessing I might get more support here.  I'm due to have the Gamma Knife surgery in a few weeks.  I'm so very scared.  I cry a lot.  Could really use some reassurance.  Is anyone out there who can help?  Thank you in advance.

Hi
I just had my GK done 4/18.  The anticipation is much worse than the actual procedure. With me, I had a consultation at the Gamma Knife Center of Oregon with Dr. Bader. They gave me a tour. I had a CD to watch that they sent me through the mail, and that explained most everything. Then they give you a little white pill and you don't freakin care what they do to ya!!  It's a four margurita morning, honey. It doesn't hurt - just a little pin prick with the needle in the head. Getting a new crown put on at the dentist is way more traumatic than Gamma Knife.  I was on steroids afterward for possible swelling, and nobody told me to sleep in a recliner!  The worst part of the whole week, was the side effects of the steroids.  Insomnia is a common side effect. I would have been happy to sleep ANYWHERE - recliner, bed, chair, floor, lawn chair...Just sleep...It was a looooonnnng week. Now, it's just two weeks past my treatment. I am looking forward to the next MRI when they can pronounce the stupid thing inside my head is dead, dying or at least mortally wounded.  Hang in there....THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode