Author Topic: Recurrant AN a third time?  (Read 3505 times)

jenifyer

Recurrant AN a third time?
« on: April 23, 2006, 01:26:29 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone had a recurrant AN taken care of and then it came  back again? 

jennifer

Battyp

Re: Recurrant AN a third time?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:48:48 pm »
I sure hope not!  Once is bad enough..twice is horrid..three times would def. NOT be the charm!

BostonJake

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 02:58:02 pm »
I'd be interested in the same question too.  I had my six month MRI. and although I'm hardly qualified to interprate the picture as a neurosurgeon would, the golf ball on my an side scared the crap out of me.

3.2" AN Removed at Mass General Hospital, 10/18/05
Proton Therapy at MGH summer of 2006
No news really...

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 03:57:39 pm »
If it be that they leave behind a cell or two with surgery there is always a chance it will grow, that is the theory as to why I had AN in the same place twice (rather than just grew a brand new one in the same place).
 I myself will never know if they got it all this time or not as my intention is to never have another MRI, I do not ever want to hear those words again "you have a brain tumor", I do not intend to have "follow up" MRI's to check if they got it all or not, I don't want to know they didn't and the surgeon said he did so I won't have another MRI unless there is another reason to do so under which circumstances I will tell the doctor I don't want a look at they pic's and I don't want to know if they is an AN in there on either side. My regrowth didn't have to be removed because of the physical aspect of it rather what it was doing to me psychologically knowing it was in there and growing.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 06:28:38 pm »
Good point Kathleen.  Some things are better off not knowing!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 07:36:58 pm »
BostonJake,
  I hope the "golfball" was scar tissue.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 07:44:43 pm »
Hey Jake,

Mine was a freakin tennis ball!! 5cm x 5cm. I had mine done at Mass General as well in. Did you have Barker and McKenna? Those guys are excellent surgeons!!!! I had mine done in Sept.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 06:42:50 am »
jennifer, I think it's may be something we keep in the back of our minds, knowing that recurrance can (but hopefully not) reoccur. Trying not to let it bother me and knowing that lifetime MRI's are on my horizon, I'm just dealing with each day as it comes and not allow myself to worry about the recurrance possibilities at this time.  For me, just taking each day at a time and living each day to its fullest works for me.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

thecakes

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 08:05:21 am »
  I am 3 1/2 years post op and I was told they got it all but alot of times the surgeons leave a cell or two behind, not even hnowing it.  I think about this but never worry.  I am well today and plan on staying that way for a while, but I would'nt be supprised if after one MRI, i'm told that tommy is back.  This is a terribable way to think, but I almost plan on it.  I don't say anything to my family though.  I'll deal with it when the time comes.

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 09:23:05 am »
Hey crazy cat..what type of residual problems do you have from your surgery/removal of your an?  How long ago was your surgery?

kjneuma

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 08:10:05 pm »
I have experienced recurrence of my left side an.  I was told that they must not have gotten it all out the first time.  It was just over 2 years between my surgery and knowing about tumor #2.  Now I am preparing to have #2 removed sometime this year.  I received Gamma Knife radiation in 2001 which has been unsuccessful in stopping the growth.  So here I go again...kj