Author Topic: Results from M.R.I. 14 YEARS LATER  (Read 3720 times)

Dean from Ga.

• I am a D.A.V. Service Officer in Georgia U.S.
Results from M.R.I. 14 YEARS LATER
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:52:42 pm »
This M.R.I. was done due to my constant memory loss, and forgetting what I was telling someone in the middle of a sentence.  All other previous M.R.I. reports over the years (every year after tumor was removed) came out fine. I was on this board back around 1996 and a few years later but I veered away from here because it only depressed me to talk about all of my problems.  I even forgot my screen name that I used.  I have been coping with my residual paralysis problems pretty good most of the time since 1996 after my tumor was removed from my Right ear ( 7th and 8th cranial nerves removed.)  I am not going to lie to people and tell them that it has been an easy row up hill.  Life after ANA Removal as big as mine was has really sucked but I found way's to deal with them through Anti-Depression Medication and counseling.  I have EVERY side effect that a person can get after surgery.  C.S.F. Leakage repaired a few days after surgery, Paralyzed on Right side of head and face, Paralyzed tongue on right side, Right eye-lid implant twice and repositioned again later, Paralyzed on the Right side of my Face and Throat, Crooked Nose, and Taste not the same as before.  I had the surgical Procedure done.  I had no choice, The tumor grew bigger than an over sized egg within a couple of months of being found and ruptured into itself.  Steroids did little to keep it from growing.  My Surgery was dine at the Augusta, Georgia, V.A. Medical Center by Dr. Harry Weiser and he later did back surgery on my lower back.  Great doctor........Found out that he is now in South Georgia (I think) with his own Civilian Practice.  Attending was Aaron C. MacDonald that was a third year medical student attending the Medical College in Augusta, Georgia.  I could not have been in better hands at my age on only 25.  I own these two my life, along with Dr. Moti of the Dublin, Ga. V.A. Medical center that listened to me the first time that I ever saw him.  I am now having persistent Migraines with persistent memory loss.  I am going to put the results of this M.R.I. below.  This M.R.I. was done without contrast so it will be redone A.S.A.P...  I have not even been able to discuss this with any doctor at all.  This came out of my records on March 30,2010 and was done on March 24, 2010...  I will be consulting with my doctors A.S.A.P....

Exactly Stated  :o ??? :-\ :'( >:( :(- Findings suggestive of Mild Cerebellar Ectopia Measuring 4Cm. in Diameter.  This can be seen in the setting of Chiari 1 Malformation.

Findings presumably related to prior Acoustic Neuroma Resection on Right with suggestion of Mild Increased Flair Signal Involving the Lateral Inferior Right Cerebellar Hemisphere extending into the Right Cerebellopontine Angle.  Findings presumably related to Gliosis Secondary to prior Acoustic Neuroma Resection.  Evaluation is significantly limited given the lack of Intravenous Contrast.  Further Evaluation is RECOMMENDED with MRI of the Internal Auditory Canals with and without Contrast for Better Evaluation.

Otherwise no Acute Intracranial Process.

Findings: The Corpus Callosum, Pituitary glands are normal in Appearance.  There is Mild Cerebellar Ectopia Measuring 4mm.

No Abnormal areas of restricted diffusion.  Normal Vascular flow voids are present.

No mid-line shift, mass effect, extra-axial fluid collections, cortical based areas of infarction or intraparenchymal hemorrhage.  There is mild FLAIR SIGNAL ABNORMALITY involving the right cerebelopontine angle extending into the right internal auditory canal, presumably related to Gliosis SECONDARY TO PRIOR ACOUSTIC NEUROMA RESECTION.

LIMITED EVALUATION OF THE INTERNAL AUDITORY CANAL ON TODAY'S STUDY GIVEN LACK OF DEDICATED INTERNAL AUDITORY CANAL IMAGING AS WELL AS LACK OF INTRAVENOUS CONTRAST.

The visual orbits and para-nasal sinuses are normal in appearance.  No fracture or abnormal tissue swelling.

If anyone has any comments.......... Please give me your input.   :-\ :-\
I am a Disabled American Service Officer in the state of Georgia, U.S.A.
I will be glad to help anyone that needs help with a V.A. Claim.

Acoustic Neuroma Removed Jan. 1996
I will answer any questions that I am qualified to answer as to my experience with my Acoustic Neuroma that was removed.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Results from M.R.I. 14 YEARS LATER
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:29:58 am »
Hi Dean.... please allow me to first... thank you for your military service and all you have done while in service!  Truly, thank you!

2nd, I will comment about the Chiari 1 Malformation (CM1) as there are some of us here that have been diagnosed with it, myself included.  Here is a good link for CM1 to help better understand what it is:

http://www.neurosurgerytoday.org/what/patient_e/chiari1.asp

Having the MRI re-done is definately a good thought and please let us know how it goes. CM1 has nothing to do with AN's but for some reason, some of us that have AN's seem to get the 2nd diagnosis of CM1 as they are usually spotted on the same MRI's.  I will reference anissa here (who had AN and CM1 surgery) and Raydean, who's daughter has CM1.  My co-worker has CM1 and as for me, I have a milder CM1.  Some of CM1 symptoms include (but are not limited to) extremity weaknesses, massive headaches, sleep apnea, swallowing issues, etc.  Your doctor can better advise about it if the diagnosis is accurate (best to have reconfirmed with that 2nd MRI you're having done). As you know, the MRI contrast is also key to the former AN situation to make sure the IAC/CPA region is clear of new growths.  I'm certainly not a doctor and don't profess to be one but learned through info shared here and based on own personal experience.

Please keep us updated on this... and I'm so sorry you have endured so much over the years.  Please note that we are all here for you and welcome you back.  Things have certainly changed around here over the years (I've been here 5 years now) and I think you will find folks here very warm, understanding, insightful and uplifting in spirits.

Please hang in there... and truly, welcome back.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:10:50 am »
Dean,

I'd also like to say thanks for your service and sorry for all you've endured. I'm definitely no expert in reading MRI reports, but I noticed that the first line you quoted from the MRI report was "Findings suggestive of Mild Cerebellar Ectopia Measuring 4Cm. in Diameter". Then, further down it says  Findings: The Corpus Callosum, Pituitary glands are normal in Appearance.  There is Mild Cerebellar Ectopia Measuring 4mm. If these statements are about the same thing, one says it's 4cm and the other 4mm. Probably want to get this clarified.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:27:53 am »
Hi, Dean!  I'm running out the door, so not much time to "talk" but I wanted to welcome you - I'm also in GA, north of Atlanta.  There are several here on the forum in the area.  Are you in Augusta?  Would love to have you at our next Support Group meeting if you'd like to come...details to be announced later.  Also, thank you, of course, for your service...I may take you up on your offer of help w/ a VA claim...my father n law was a WWII POW - he passed away a few weeks ago and I am trying to help my mother n law with VA stuff.

Sorry that you are having new issues, hope the docs can give you some answers.  Hope you'll stick around with us! 

I'll get back with you later, if you don't mind,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:11:27 pm »
Dean ~

I'm sorry to learn of the many complications you've had to endure, post-op but I'm glad you've decided to re-jpin the ANA website discussion forums.

A perusal of one or two online medical dictionaries offered this explanation of one of the salient points of the radiologist's report:

Tonsillar herniation of the cerebellum is also known commonly as a Chiari Malformation (CM). Cerebellar ectopia is a term used by radiologists to describe cerebellar tonsils that are "low lying" but that do not meet the radiographic criteria for definition as a Chiari malformation. The currently accepted radiographic definition for a Chiari malformation are cerebellar tonsils that lay at least 5mm below the level of the foramen magnum.

I'm not a doctor so I won't presume to diagnose your condition but from everything else on the report, your symptoms would seem to be associated with the 'Chiari Malformation' iissue.  I trust that a second MRI with (gadolinium) contrast will yeild a more specific diagnosis and that you can begin a plan to alleviate the cause of the symptoms.  I wish you well - and thank you for your service to our country.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.