Author Topic: Lack of emotions after surgery  (Read 2645 times)

thecakes

Lack of emotions after surgery
« on: April 14, 2006, 06:39:11 am »
   I have had my surgery in 02 and I have a lack of emotions.  I never cry.  I don't think its because I have no tears, but I never feel like crying.  I allways tell my husband, how embarrassing it would be to go to a funeral of someone close to you, everone is crying and you can't cry.  I don't mean to say I'm real hard core but i hav'net shed a tear since surgery or do I feel like it.  In a way thats ok because before the tumor I'd cry at the drop of a hat, too emotional and thats hard on you.  But I notice this big difference, has anyone noticed this also?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Lack of emotions after surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 09:33:30 am »
cakes hun... in all that we have endured in dealing with the stresses (physical, emotional, spiritual) of having and treating an AN, I honestly believe that ... not only has our physical nervous system been shocked by our treatments but the emotional toll it takes on us can be overwhelming.  I know it's been a LONG time for you and that trying to understand can frustrate the heck out of you, but hoping that maybe through counseling, possible meds, receiving hugs from us here, etc, helps. I am a true believer in what Art Linkletter said about "laughter is the best medicine", so sometimes, I try to use humor as a stress relief.  Not always appreciated by some here and that's ok... but each of us have to deal with it in a manner that brings comfort to us on the inside. For me, humor is the stress relief mechnism that I choose.

I'm REALLY hoping you call in tonight on the Friday Nights Girls AN conference all (posted in General Discussion). It would be awesome to say hello to you and discuss anything you want about this.  Sometimes, trying to write it in an email or a forum post cannot truly convey what is on our minds.. but the conference call may be helpful to share of thoughts/emotions and receive some hugs back to help.  Just a thought.

I'm thinking of you! :)
xoxoo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 10:35:25 pm »
Cakes I used to never cry before surgery and now I cry over commercials!  I think too for me knowing how it makes my head feel maybe your head is sparing you the discomfort!  Our systems are so out of whack!

friday nights are a fun time...we'll have you laughing which is much better than crying any ol'e day!

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 04:33:44 am »
Chet also has been affected on the emotiomal level, with lack of emotioms being part of the picture.
You aren't alone in this area.  Chet's is from a lesion (scarring) in an area that affects emotions and a couple of other things.  Please feel free to emai; me direct if you want to discuss it. 

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Rc Moser

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 08:03:10 am »
Well, I was pretty hard core before my little demon! Even during the initial shock I had little emotions. After I'm a mess, I see old pictures and start thinking of the people I loved and how I miss them. My little Yorkie Male dog died and I cried for a week and still miss the little tart today when it's been two years now.

I get emotional over some movies now, which before I rarely shed a tear before cause it was just a movie. I use to be a hunter somewhat, now I can hardly kill a fly. IMO crying can be good as well as laughing, IMO it let's your muscles, emotions, watering glands get a workout and you can monitor you AN side to see if you have any watering improvements. ONE tear can be joyous feeling when you have teared in that eye since your operation. IMO it's a life altering operation one way or the other!!!!
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Static

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 09:17:35 am »
I have found that my emotions can go from one extreme to the next in the flash of a second.  It makes me crazy because sometimes I feel like I'm cracking up.  And once I get in a mood, it stays for awhile.  Coping better on antidepressants, but it still happens sometimes.  I'm hoping "happiness is a warm puppy", even tho she is a terror!  At least I'll get some exercise with less time to sit around munching and instead tending to the puppy!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

sunshine16

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 09:51:00 pm »
Wow!  you never cried, cakes?  I'm a total opposite.  I cry all the time.  Sometimes makes me feel better when I do cry........  "drama queen" is my middle name......he he

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 08:46:22 am »
hello "drama queen"

You have now been officially served a summons to laugh your cute butt off... and that goes for you too, cake!  Go look at my crappr...er.... frappr pics of mesh face.. that'll work (since the Botox won't!)

xoxoxo to you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

onebadass350bird

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 12:27:58 pm »
Well I never was much of a cryer but, I can tell you that I don't show emotions as much as I used to.  The days of throwing a frown or a smile on gone for right now anyway do to facial paralysis.  And who knows if it'll come back, and if it does, how much? Nobody knows.  That sure does make me wanna cry.  One thing I do have a problem with is eye contact.  I used to be a huge believer in it when talking to somebody, but now tend to keep them under my hat a little bit when talking to someone.  Even my family, but not as bad.

Tom
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN