Author Topic: Talking with Doctors  (Read 2040 times)

Raydean

Talking with Doctors
« on: April 20, 2006, 04:10:03 pm »
Since I'm not sure that this will work the web address is
www.komotv.com
Click on Herb  Weisbaum  Seeing a Doctor, Better show up prepared

Also click on the AARP link for the interview.  Guys this is good.  The book is probably good too.
Please go to Komotv and click on the AARP link to listen to the interview.  I'm sure many of you will relate.  I'm not sure what type of brain tumor he had, don't think it was a AN, but guys, you're gonna relate to this.

Raydean

Herb Weisbaum: Seeing A Doctor? Better Show Up Prepared

April 20, 2006

By Herb Weisbaum

Audio : KOMO 1000 NEWS
Experts say it's best to show up with a list of questions and make sure the doctor answers them clearly.

Hear Audio Report

Tools
 Email This Story
 Printer-friendly Version

SEATTLE - Dealing with doctors can be very frustrating, especially when you have a major medical problem. Just ask David Newman who survived a life-threatening brain tumor.

"I encountered a lot of people who were very distant and uncommunicative and misleading and self-contradictory," Newman says. "On the other hand, I did find doctors who were extraordinary and remarkable."

Newman, a psychotherapist, wrote a book about his experience called Talking with Doctors.

He says patients need to know going in that their visit with the doctor is likely to be quick and impersonal. By being prepared for that, he says, you know you have to be "very assertive and persevere in your questions. You deserve to have your questions answered and things should make sense to you."

Other suggestions: Before your appointment, it's a smart idea to make a list of questions you want to ask the doctor. If you feel comfortable with it, consider having a family member or trusted friend in the exam room with you. "You'll have someone there to review what the recommendations were and what was said," Newman explains, "and then you can go back with further questions."

David Newman says for complicated cases, you should get advice from more than one doctor. "I think it's best not to rely on an individual physician," he says. "Individual doctors have their specialties, their biases, their preferences for certain kinds of treatment and getting multiple opinions is the only way you can create a sense of trust in that particular course of action. It's a ways of checking and balancing the subjectivity or the prejudices of an individual physician."

And what if you see two doctors and get two completely different opinions? "Then you need to get a third opinion," he says. "You need to formulate some sort of consensus from a variety of doctors."

If you are seeing multiple physicians, Newman says you need to encourage teamwork between your doctors. "You can't assume that Doctor A will talk to Doctor B, but you can certainly ask for that to be the case and to report back to you and to explain their difference if they exist."

For More Information:

Listen to AARP interview with David Newman

Email This Story |  Printer-friendly Version

Get Quicktime Player

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

lmurray69

Re: Talking with Doctors
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:39:00 pm »
I can relate to all the Doctors, But they wont talk  to any one else.. They have a very bad manners and are very self centered. They act like they know it all and you are stupied. I asked questions and they give me all the same answer.LIke I dont know a thing..I have a an and it is on the left siide. I had radiation because all the doctors that they sent me too only liked gamma knif radiation.. after it has fried 1/2 my brain I still have the tumor and  lots of problems that could of been elemanated the first  time... 1 1/2 yrs later...still looking for a surgeon, but they wont do it cause. 1. I am high risk and 2 they wont fix someone elses mistakes...now where does that leave us...Sorry need to shout ,,,,
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 05:37:22 am »
Raydean:

Thanks for sharing this... oh, I learned this, as well, many years ago with another medical issue I have.... have learned that I have to be my best patient advocate and it's up to us to take control of our medical care.  Great article and thanks for sharing!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 04:10:16 pm »
Hi Imurray,

I'm sorry that you're having the problems that you are. It must be very difficult.  We've met a few Doctors such as you encountered. along Chet's AN journey.  I've got to believe that there must be a good doctor that will talk to you as you deserved to be talked to, and treated.  Where do you live?  maybe members of the forum can suggest knowledgable and compassionate doctors in your area. Or maybe The House Ear Clinic could review your MRI and offer some suggestions, or referr you to a doctor.

Why do the doctors consider you high risk?  Why are they refusing to treat you following radiation?  Others have posted that they've been sucessfully treated following radiation. and visa versa, surgery followed by radiation.   it has to be very frustrating for you.  Is there anything we can do to help?

Thinking of you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.