Author Topic: a silly question  (Read 4218 times)

thecakes

a silly question
« on: April 18, 2006, 09:03:44 am »
   I go to the library to check my email because my sons "friend" sent him a virous and I can't get in my yahoo account now.  I open it up and I get some mail from some ad thats saying "you want to get rid of your acoustic neuroma?" and "ways to prevent a acoustic neuroma"  Is there another type of acoustic neuroma?  From what is being said, they arenot talking about a tumor.  I never heard about this before.  This might be a silly question for some of you knowledgeable people out there but I,m confused.  Reply please.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: a silly question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:24:28 am »
Cakes, who is the company that sent the ad?  There's so much garbage e-mail out that that might pirate a common topic for you and insert it into a text body.  Let one of us know and we can google it and check it out and see what we think.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 11:48:58 am »
ah, spam mail.. doncha love it? But, I have to say, I haven't seen an AN spam mail yet?  Heck, if my AN were spam, it would sure be easy to rid with a "delete" key! I likey the thought of that! :D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

thecakes

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:25:32 pm »
  Next time I go to the library, I'll find out who its from.  I never thought of it being spam for AN's.  I just thought theres something I don't know about.  Thats sad.  I'll let you know more about it.  I never really used the internet until I lost my job and got tommy, so I'm pretty stupid at this stuff.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 06:03:23 pm »
how do you know it's a virus? Is your pop up blocker on?  Computers can either be our best buddy or our worst nightmare...I thought about a new computer ...and changed my mind and now my monitor is acting up...UGH...next time I'll keep my thoughts tomyself!  lol

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 09:10:57 pm »
Cakes,

You got spyware. You will never know who it is really from and don't try coz if you click it - whammo - whoever wrote it will have access to all your details in your accounts etc.

I use zone alarm for anti spam (its free) and rated by PC magazine as the best value for money - great coz it doesn't cost anything. I also use pc tools antispyware which is really good - costs $30p.a. I also use nortons anti virus but i don't like it coz it conflicts with other software by occupying memory space and not budging (like a stubborn wench - ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh, I's in deep doo doo now) and is a bugger for support. I'll be looking into new antivirus stuf soon.

I agree with you M, re computers. I live with them and they provide me a pretty good income (outside of headache territory) and sometimes its the little things that drive me mad. I wrote on another post somewhere that I couldn't use my router for my home network. After about 3 hours of testing and 3 hours of Captain Deb's chants, with the wet t-shirt on (now thats a sight for very sore eyes), I discovered that the router was set for a wireless network. I quick click of the mouse and all is fixed again.

Thanks Deb for the chant - musta worked.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 11:57:47 pm »
Spyware...yeah that's the word that was escaping me earlier!  I've found that I run three different spyware programs and it amazes me after running one and supposedly clearning everything up you run the next one and more junk pops up.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 12:13:20 am »
Batty,

you gotta do the Capt Deb anti jumbie chant. Make up a doll in the shape of a computer and stick pins into it.

I'm sure you'd look better doing the table top dance in a wet t-shirt that I would / did!

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 05:49:56 am »
Not sure about that one  LOL

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:23:34 pm »
hmmmmmm... try downloading a trial version of adware.com.  That will usually clean out a great bit, which I use in conjunction with my virus application.

Ya know, I need to get outta computers and get back into hairdressing..... anyone in favor, say "Aye"!

P
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 01:45:18 pm »
aye..can you make my hair grow faster? 

thecakes

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 10:41:46 am »
   People, this crap about AN's is comming from a Beverly Taylor.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 04:39:02 pm »
I couldn't find anything but something that looks like it does insert medical conditions into a "things they don't tell you about __________" form, and I think it's spam. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 07:52:27 pm »
I couldn't find anything on it either Patti...sounds like spam mail.