Author Topic: Anybody else experience periodic nausea and vomiting?  (Read 3533 times)

briansmome

Anybody else experience periodic nausea and vomiting?
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:41:45 am »
Before my surgery, I had several episodes of nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Headaches as well, but then those were ever-present. I attributed most of this to having a child in day-care (any and every thing comes home with them), but during vestibular rehab following surgery I was told it was most likely a manifestation of everything else that was going on in my head. This weekend I experienced it again for the first time since the surgery and I'm curious to know if anyone else has dealt with this. How in the world do I know what is relevant? I called the doc and he said to just keep an eye on it. Makes sense, but I am more interesting in not letting it happen again!
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!

cin605

Re: Anybody else experience periodic nausea and vomiting?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31:16 am »
I have had the nausea but very rarely vomit from it..just a couple times when i had a migraine strike going.
I have been taking promethazine for a bout a year...i just switched to prevacid n seems to be workin.
I still have days just not EVERY day. ;)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:10:05 pm »
I had the same (headaches that reached the point of nausea) before surgery, but only threw up once. It's been pretty much the same post-op, but every doctor wants to tell me it's normal. If it gets really bad, I have my old stash of zofran and oxycodone, but I try not to use it if I can avoid it because it makes me wonky.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:56:11 am »
Zofran is what keeps me going. I had bouts of being dizzy almost daily for about three years, but did not know what was going on. The ENT did not discover my tumor. Just before Christmas this year I started vomiting and the MRI turned up my AN. The second I begin to get dizzy now, I take 2mg of Zofran and that takes care of it. I also do exercises and that helps as much in the long run.

briansmome

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:43 am »
Well, good to know I'm not completely crazy.  ;)  If it persists, I may as my doc about some of the things you guys have suggested. Massive headache today.
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:11:37 pm »
Never had any headache. The exercises really helped a lot.

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:24:31 am »
I had lots of nausea before surgery as well as IBS symptoms. The nausea was incredibly bad when I was pregnant with my 3rd (about 2 years before dx.) My AN was pressing on the vagus nerve which explains all the stomach issues. I haven't had a problem since surgery.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

phx

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 08:15:39 pm »
Yeap. I'm there right now. Some mornings I'll wake up with bad headaches and urges to vomit. It almost feels nice to go with the urge. Problem is that it's really hard to stop. I'm really hoping this will go away after the surgery. I tell people it's like morning sickness, but worse.

gman100

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 05:25:29 pm »
I would get bad nausea from time to time in the 6 weeks following my surgery. I think I threw up 2-3 times. I told the doctor during a check-up and he made sure it wasn't due to a stomach ulcer due to my antibiotics or something. I still have a little bit of nausea once in a long while, but nowhere near throwing up. It wasn't anything really I think except my brain dealing with a lot.
8/4/2008 - Pilocytic astrocytoma removed
9/21/2008 - 1.0g Gold weight
6/24/2009 - 7/12 Graft + 1.6g Gold weight
Balance/Dizziness: From 0% to 75%
Double Vision: From 0% to 70%
Facial Paralysis: Corner of mouth just started moving a bit