Author Topic: North Chicago/Northern Illinois Support Group  (Read 2788 times)

Dave_S121

North Chicago/Northern Illinois Support Group
« on: April 13, 2006, 07:20:50 pm »
There will be a meeting for the North Chicago/North Illinois ANA Support Group next Thursday, April 20th, 2006 in Gurnee, IL.  Gurnee is 10 minutes from the Wisconsin boarder and anyone from north of the border is invited.  The meeting will be at the Hidden Hills Rec Center, 724 Wakefield Rd, Gurnee.  Below is a Mapquest link to the location.  The doors will open at 7:00pm and the meeting will start at 7:30pm.  Leslie Schumaker, a Certified Auditory-Verbal Therapist will discuss rehabilitation options for Single Sided Deafness.  If interested in attending or questions please contact me at:

dskaja@comcast.net

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=724+wakefield+rd&city=Gurnee&state=il&zipcode=
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

stein78

Re: North Chicago/Northern Illinois Support Group
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 08:32:46 pm »
I wish this was closer to my house or I would go.  Tough to get all the way to Gurnee by that time after work.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Dave_S121

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 08:46:21 am »
I live in Gurnee but work for the police department in Glenview.  We are getting a new PD with a community available for groups like the ANA, so my plan is to try and split the meetings between Gurnee and Glenview.  Look for a support group meeting in late summer or early fall in Glenview.  I hope this is closer.

Dave Skaja
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 08:52:28 am »
sounds like a good time. Got a letter from ANA yesterday noting they are looking for someone to replace the Boston ANA leader who just resigned the post.  I'm not in any position to take it over but thrilled that you all have a local support group/meeting you all can attend.  Have a great time! 

Dave, I'd love to hear what Lori says about single-side deafness... will anyone be taking notes that you can share with us?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Dave_S121

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 06:29:04 pm »
Phyl, I am hoping to post my experiences soon on both the ANA Discussion Forum plus write an article for the ANA magazine.  I'm a police officer that has been placed on limited duty due to my SSD.  My doctor wrote a referal for hearing therapy and I have been seeing Leslie Schumaker since July 2005.  My limited duty status is due to occupational medicine saying that I can't localize sound and can't function in crowded situations.  What my sessions with Leslie has demonstrated is that I can in fact tell where and which direction sound is coming from and have been showing improvement in my ability to identify and follow conversation in crowded situations.  Is it as good as before my surgery, no, and it never will be.  But it is much better than anyone thought possible or given credit for.  Espically since I upgraded to the digital BAHA 2 months ago.   I am still going through therapy and am reluctant to discuss this in a public forum since I am still contesting my limited duty status.  Hopefully I will get a ruling on that in the next month or so.   I have also heard that Loyole University in Chicago will be doing a study on SSD, BAHA and sound localization.  I don't have any details but have volunteered and was told someone should contact me when there are further along in starting the study.
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 06:31:45 pm »
Oh, Offr Dave! That's fantastic!!!!!!!!  You have so much to share with many here.... sounds like Lesley certainly knows her stuff and will look for your meeting update/newsletter article!  I know it's going to be a great read!

Hang in there.. .sounds like you are going to prove the dept wrong and it's folks like you that help keep momentum in all of us going! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"