Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled  (Read 4644 times)

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
Surgery Scheduled
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:03:22 am »
What a long strange trip it's been...

In basically 24 hours time I have gone from an overstimulated, totally unsure, anxiety riddled train wreck of a man to cool, calm, collected and focused man.. a lean, mean killing machine with a target about 1cm x 1cm x 2cm on the left side of my brain (I used to bullseye whomprats in my T-16 back home and they're not much bigger!) I am the tumornator and me and my boys are coming for you ya little booger.. no more free rides!

I finally know the score and have the game-plan in hand and I'm moving with a purpose. We don't mess around over here. Surgery has been scheduled for just over 3 weeks away (Feb 24th!) Dr's Wiet and Kazan will be using the Translab approach to gain access for the ultimate eviction.. and I say good riddance!

I'm only mildly nervous about the whole thing, I'm a bit of a seasoned vet when it comes to this sort of thing.. I only have 3 weeks to say goodbye to the hearing on my left side.. to enjoy things like stereophonic sound, understanding what the drive thru kid is saying and walking around without hitting things.. usually anyway. (I never mentioned graceful in my list of qualities for a reason!).

I have to agree with many others that getting to the plan of attack is the hardest part.. it's all gravy from here on out and I'm happy as one can be to get it on, get it over with and move on with my life. I am told that they can rebuild me, make me stronger, faster and more noticeable to airport security checkpoints everywhere! I'll be having my BAHA hardware fitted as soon as they will permit it to be done.. if only they could find a way to make the processor translate Spanish I would be the ultimate machine :)

Wish me luck!

And for you folks who are still deciding on treatment, be sure to do you due diligence but don't dilly dally because the weight that is lifted when you finally have a plan of attack is worth it!

Thank you to you all for the valuable information, insight and support you provide with just a few strokes on a keyboard somewhere in the world.. you are all truly amazing people!

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:05:20 am by Amplified2000 »
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Surgery Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:26:35 am »
Kevin,

I love your attitude and I'm sure you will do just fine. None the less, here are my best wishes for luck, success, and a speedy, easy recovery. And keep us informed of your progress.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:30:17 am »
Kevin -

congratulations on your decision.  You sound confident of your choice and your doctors and that's a huge milestone in the AN Journey.

Drs. Wiet and Kazan have been working together for many, many years and make a great team.  You are in good hands.

Tumornator, I love it!  ;D

I'll put your big date on the AN Calendar,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:04:44 am »
Wow!  You ARE ready!  You are right...the hardest part is done.  All you have to do now is get it over with.  Good luck with your surgery!  Your attitude is great and I am really sure you are going to do really well.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33:19 am »
Kevin,

AN's everywhere will be afraid when you enter the room!   :D  A man with a mission!  I love it.  Your great attitude and sense of humor will help your recovery - I'm sure! 

If it's any consolation, I CAN hear on the left and I still can't understand what the kid at the drive-thru is saying!

Good luck and can't wait to hear this is all behind you!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:00:21 am »
Good luck with your upcoming surgery and remember do not lose your sense of humor.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:48:43 am »
Thanks everyone!

If you can't laugh at a brain tumor, what can you laugh at? Clowns? I don't think so.. they kind of creep me out..
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:14:35 pm »
Kevin ~

Your attitude is much the same as mine when I made my surgery decision: "let's get on with it!"  That kind of attitude will help you immensly in the weeks to come as you prepare for the surgery and, most importlanty, as you recover and struggle to regain normalcy.  I was grimly determined to 'get my life back' after surgery and I did whatever I had to do.  Fortunately, I had a good outcome and was driving again within two weeks of my operation.  I'm confident that you'll get through this O.K. and be one of our recovery champions . 

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:52:54 pm »
Kevin -

there's a lot of healing power in humor.

Even my neurotologist who is known for his low-key, rather serious demeanor, learned to put up with my joking during the surgical extravaganza surrounding my AN.  And by the time he did my BAHA implant, I had him joking right along with me.  Not his usual style by any means, but he rose to the occasion on my behalf because he realized that was what I needed.

Anyway the point is, if humor is your coping mechanism (it's definitely mine) include anyone and everyone you can in the frivolity!  ;D

As, my partner in crime, Lori said, your sense of humor will help your recovery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways