Author Topic: extent of vestibular deficits  (Read 1481 times)

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
extent of vestibular deficits
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:03:25 am »
howdy,
  i know my 1st post was pretty long, so i'll keep this one short.
thanks for the responses.

to what degree does the vestibular deficits after surgery (OR radiation) take a toll on dexterity, hand eye coordination? vs just problems with ambulation, position sense, driving?

thx,
jesse
mild hearing loss - 12/'09
left 4x5x7mm, intracannicular schwanomma
MIDDLE FOSSA surgery 4/'10, Dr John McElveen, et.al.
was actually a FACIAL NERVE NEUROMA
hearing worsened 4/'12 - Tumor quadrupled to 9x9x15mm
cyberknife 8/'12
1.5yr MRI shows shrinkage % 85% necrosis
LEFT hearing & tinnitus SUCK

cin605

Re: extent of vestibular deficits
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:29:42 am »
Everyone is different.BUt......i have broken so many dishes since surgery..i had to buy plastic.Night vision is just not there...i do not see in the dark.period.Eye tracking is delayed.
many people do not have any of these side effects....some also do then they subside.I had retro. 6/26/2008.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 11:52:36 am »
My surgeon was one that said that you may do well in time with balance but may always have some problem in the dark.          I did find that to be true and know of more than ANer not on here who agrees.
  I think it is one thing that does vary among each person how much their long term issues end up.      I was very near to completely normal after a time with the one AN.       It's when 2 and 3 came that made it worse for me.                  I have never had a problem with drivng  once was past the post op recovery time.              I would not like driving in big cities but don't feel that is AN related.           Des Moines I can do but would not handle Chicago well.   
                                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:56:29 am »
I had retro 6/2/08 and had very little in the way of vestibular defects. The biggest thing that I noticed was that the fine motor skills on my AN side were affected. It has improved over time but I'm still a little clumsy with that side. My Dr explained that fine motor skills are a function of your vision which is controlled in the sub occipital region of the brain which is exactly where my surgery took place. He things that over time this will completely resolve without formal therapy.  I was a little wobbly positionally at first but really have no residual issues in that department. In fact  my yoga teacher says that my balance is better now than presurgery.
Erin

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:39:47 pm »
Jesse ~

You've posed a relevant question that I'll attempt to answer as a AN post-op, post-radiation patient.

As the previous posts indicate, there is no template for the extent of post-op (or radiation) vestibular deficits and their effect on hand-eye coordination.  As you can see, some have very few coordination issues (I would be in that category) while others have some noticeable issues. There are so many variables when dealing with these tiny nerves encased in a very small area that it makes predictions regarding the effect on functionality post-op, even 'ballpark' predictions, almost pointless, although we all want some idea of the after-effects of treatment.  I did, but my very experienced neurosurgeon was honest and stated that he would do his best to spare critical nerves but he simply couldn't give me a credible expectation of exactly what to expect, post-op.  As you know, lots of things can 'go wrong', including facial paralysis, permanent unilateral hearing loss, eye problems, headaches and so on.  The good news is that none of these issues are inherent in the procedures (surgery and/or radiation) but simply a possibility.  I didn't suffer any of the more common deficits and I underwent both surgery (retrosigmoid) and radiation (FSR) on a large (4.5 cm) AN at age 63.  I hasten to add that my case was not anomalous and that many other AN patients that are or have posted their stories on these forums have similar accounts to offer. There is, indeed, 'light at the end of the (AN) tunnel'.

I understand that you're (rightly) concerned about the effects of treatment for your AN on your ability to race your Mustang as well as perform your job.  These concerns are quite valid and should be addressed to whatever doctor you ultimately employ to treat your AN.  For what it may be worth, although I was retired (from a desk job) I had to give up driving for a few weeks prior to my surgery due to 'dizziness' and a gradual loss of hand-eye coordination.  I'm happy to report that I was given the 'green light' by my doctor to resume driving within 2 weeks of my discharge from the hospital.  I've never looked back, as it were.  I mention this as a counter-balance to the harsh reality that some vestibular deficits can lead to a loss of hand-eye coordination.  Of course, I hope this does not happen to you but I can understand your concerns and find it admirable that you're seeking answers to this very real concern.  I only wish I (or someone) could offer the assurances you would like - but we don't sugarcoat reality around here, Jesse.  We're positive, supportive and generally upbeat - but we're not unrealistic.

I know you're seeking something a bit more definitive than 'it depends' - but that is the reality.  When you have consultations with doctors and ask the inevitable questions, this one should be prominent.  If any doctor offers slam-dunk assurances that you'll have no post-op/radiation vestibular issues that could affect your hand-eye coordination, I would be (ahem) extremely skeptical.  As always, we wish you the best as you continue to research and I hope you'll continue to ask questions, even if some may not have a definitive answer.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.