Author Topic: Incision site  (Read 7654 times)

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Incision site
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:03:16 am »
I was undecided if I should post this question I thought that I was just overreacting and reading way too much into it and also I did not want to sway pre-ops in their decision because everyone has different outcomes.  I would like to know if anyone else's incision site is wide and very indented, my surgical site is from the lower part of my ear and a couple of inches above the neck that goes to the back of my head in a "S" shape. I have been having sharp pains there several times a day but at least I can cope with it because it is not 24/7.. whereas the tinnitus is constant and it is really starting to drive me crazy... What concerns me most is that I am on several medications since my surgery almost 6 months ago and can only imagine what I would feel like if I was not on anything  ???

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

loose screws (tightened)

Re: Incision site
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:03:39 am »
Hi Pat,
 I had the middle fossa approach on Nov. 16. The thing that makes my incision very important is the fact that I shave my head. Shaving my head has become more of a challenge since surgery as you might imagine. My scar has the shape of a backwards question mark check my blog for a picture of it. I've bought an electric razor to shave over and around the incision. Where it circles around the front of the ear is the hardest place to get and also the most sensitive. It sometimes feels like pain is radiating from that area. Maybe there's cartilage in there? I can't say for sure but thats the spot that bothers me the most.
I have also developed a new headache since surgery that starts from the right lower side of my neck and goes up through my temple area to behind my right eye. It's a pressure feeling from behind my eye. It's nothing a vicoprofen can't fix but It's still bothersome. Maybe you can start using OTC pain meds to ween yourself off the stronger meds.
The tinnitus, I think we are just going to have to learn to live with it.

And I wouldn't worry about *sugar coating" the AN removal for the pre-ops. I believe it's better to be up front and honest about the aftermath of this surgery and let them be prepared for what effects they might face.

Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:17:24 pm »
Pat,

I had trans lab four and a half years ago.  I have a huge dent at the site and no feeling on that side of my head.  My incision is almost straight up and down and extends about two to three inches below my hair line.  The only thing I feel on that side is the bow from my glasses, which seems to get lost in the indention.  The doctors say it doesn't make sense, so it must no be so (the way I feel), but I also have a hard time with any kind of pressure on that side.  I can touch that side and not feel a thing!  AN's and their after affects are certainly different for each of us.
Good luck!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:36:47 pm »
Thanks Brenda & Mike so good to hear your not alone it is difficult trying to explain it to my family and then you don't want to constantly complain either.

Mike I have to look at your site at least I could let my hair grow out but I will have to be careful with combing it I could only imagine what that is going to feel like right now I have it very short and it is easy to care of. I cannot imagine how difficult the shaving is for you and your right it is best that the pre-ops are well equipped with all the information may it be good or bad I wish I found this site pre-op. I guess right now everything is new and we have to get use to it as Brenda stated it has been 4 1/2 years and her site is still numb I was hoping time would heal and we would get some feeling back but we still have alot to be thankful for I try to tell myself that everyday but the tinnitus is going to be a tough one to convince myself. I tried a couple of times to take OTC meds., but went right back to the stronger ones what bothers me I was never one for medications but now you offer me a pill and say it will help and I will take it. I was advised that xanax helps with the tinnitus and if I stop I am afraid of how much worse it might be if I come off of it and I am also taking vicodin for headaches and neck pains and let's not forget ambien just to sleep.....Wow I sound like a walking pharmacy I just hope I do not lose my sense of humor...

Brenda your right with the numbness I was more concerned with the indent and thought that the numbness would eventually go away so was not that concerned with it  but after 4 1/2 years you still have it just another thing to accept and try to get use to. Yes I to only feel my glasses and seems to sit right in the indentation sometimes it bothers me but I only wear them for distance so at least I am able to take them off for awhile.

Best Wishes for the New Year,

Pat

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:18:35 pm »
Pat -

please don't ever hesitate to post a question on the Forum; you are not over-reacting at all.

I had retrosigmoid and my scar looks like a > sign behind my left ear.  My head around the scar is indented, lumpy, and bumpy, but it's covered by my hair so no one sees it.

It's never really bothered me, but then again I have a titanium rod (a BAHA abutment) in that same area and the head of a screw from my AN surgery popping through my skin - so I'm not squeamish about much.

My head was numb for a long time after my AN surgery and then the BAHA implant added to the numbness.  It's taken about 2 years but the numbness is finally going away.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:23:37 am »
Jan, thank you so much for your reply, with the Baha do you have to be totally deaf to have one? I am about 75% deaf in the AN ear and my good is perfect I thought maybe I just wait and see if the right ear will compensate for the left ? I have read from others that insurance companies do not cover hearing aids and they can be alot of money. So I do not know what to do just yet and I am also hoping a hearing aid might offset the tinnitus sound ?? Would like your opinion I read as much as I can of your replies and would appreciate what you think.

Best Wishes to you in the New Year,

Pat

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »
Pat -

thanks for your kind words  :)

Generally the good ear won't compensate for the bad one.  This happens with balance, but unfortunately, not with hearing. 

I used to think that BAHA candidates had to be 100% SSD, but a few months ago my neurotologist told me I was wrong.  BAHA candidates have to have a "significant" hearing loss on one side.  I don't remember the percentage he gave me, but at 75% you may be a candidate.  You should ask the surgeon who did your AN surgery (if he does BAHAs) or ask your audiologist. 

If you are a candidate, there is a BAHA demo you can try.  It will give you a good idea of what the BAHA will do for your hearing - although the real thing is even better.

Most insurance companies don't cover hearing aids, but the BAHA is not a hearing aid - technically it's an implant or a prosthesis.  This is a very important point - and one that must be stressed when seeking insurance coverage.  Insurance companies have a reputation for turning down BAHA coverage requests, so if you approach yours, you need to have your doctor send them information telling what a BAHA is and why you need it.  It's not unusual for the first insurance request to be turned down, but persistence usually pays off. 

Also, if your insurance company covers Cochlear implants, you have a wonderful case for BAHA coverage.  Cochlear implants are to bilateral (double-sided) deafness as BAHAs are to unilateral deafness (SSD).

I fortunately don't suffer from tinnitus, so I don't know if a hearing aid would offset that or not.  Before I got my BAHA I asked my neurotologist if it would cause me to get tinnitus and he said it would not.  I believe he also told me that if I had tinnitus, the BAHA wouldn't stop it.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 07:38:53 am »
Pat,
I'm 3 months post retrosigmoid and my incision is the same way.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:29:19 am »
Thanks Nickittynic at least on the forum you are not alone and also not afraid to ask foradvice and opinions, it helps to know we are all on the same journey.

Best Wishes,

Pat

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:23 am »
Pat -

thanks for your kind words  :)

Generally the good ear won't compensate for the bad one.  This happens with balance, but unfortunately, not with hearing. 

I used to think that BAHA candidates had to be 100% SSD, but a few months ago my neurotologist told me I was wrong.  BAHA candidates have to have a "significant" hearing loss on one side.  I don't remember the percentage he gave me, but at 75% you may be a candidate.  You should ask the surgeon who did your AN surgery (if he does BAHAs) or ask your audiologist. 

If you are a candidate, there is a BAHA demo you can try.  It will give you a good idea of what the BAHA will do for your hearing - although the real thing is even better.

Jan,

Thank you so much for the information my insurance gave me a hard time for the surgeons they were out of network there wasn't anyone listed on the in network list so what else was I to do this is a complicated surgery so I am sure I will have a hard time with the BAHA. I have a few more months for my 1 year visit and hopefully I will be able to make a decision by then. I will also be researching more for the tinnitus issue the main thing is will the insurance cover it and what are the costs everything always comes down to money either for the coverage or the copays which are getting quite high now to.

Again thank you,

Pat

Most insurance companies don't cover hearing aids, but the BAHA is not a hearing aid - technically it's an implant or a prosthesis.  This is a very important point - and one that must be stressed when seeking insurance coverage.  Insurance companies have a reputation for turning down BAHA coverage requests, so if you approach yours, you need to have your doctor send them information telling what a BAHA is and why you need it.  It's not unusual for the first insurance request to be turned down, but persistence usually pays off. 

Also, if your insurance company covers Cochlear implants, you have a wonderful case for BAHA coverage.  Cochlear implants are to bilateral (double-sided) deafness as BAHAs are to unilateral deafness (SSD).

I fortunately don't suffer from tinnitus, so I don't know if a hearing aid would offset that or not.  Before I got my BAHA I asked my neurotologist if it would cause me to get tinnitus and he said it would not.  I believe he also told me that if I had tinnitus, the BAHA wouldn't stop it.

Jan

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 08:43:46 am »
Sorry Jan, leave it to me to mess up my response.

Best Wishes,

Pat

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 09:14:25 pm »
Pat -

had a conversation with my doc today and asked him just exactly who is a candidate for a BAHA.

He verified what I told you the other day, that you don't have to be totally SSD.  He said if someone's hearing is not considered "useable" they would be a BAHA candidate.  He further told me that there is not a certain percentage or level of hearing loss that defines "useable" - that each person is different and being a BAHA candidate is determined on a case by case basis as there are several factors involved (sound quality, word recognition, etc).  He suggests that patients meet with their doctor or audiologist to determine if the BAHA is right for them.

Hope this helps,

Jan

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 06:52:21 pm »
Pat -

had a conversation with my doc today and asked him just exactly who is a candidate for a BAHA.

He verified what I told you the other day, that you don't have to be totally SSD.  He said if someone's hearing is not considered "useable" they would be a BAHA candidate.  He further told me that there is not a certain percentage or level of hearing loss that defines "useable" - that each person is different and being a BAHA candidate is determined on a case by case basis as there are several factors involved (sound quality, word recognition, etc).  He suggests that patients meet with their doctor or audiologist to determine if the BAHA is right for them.

Hope this helps,

Jan

Jan,

Sorry I just read your post today I am not that good on the computer I do not know why I missed it. I have to find out from my insurance company before I get my hopes up .I have been reading some of the prices for hearing aids and the BAHA on the forum and I still cannot understand the differences in the coverage from one insurance company to another, for years for basic things I thought my insurance company was fairly good but since the AN I found I it seems to be the worst.

Thanks again for your help,

Pat
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:18:03 pm by sgerrard »