Author Topic: Any Sailors out there?  (Read 3724 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Any Sailors out there?
« on: March 05, 2006, 11:32:41 am »
Hi Everyone!
I'm 3 years post-op--Still have occaisional migraines and daily headaches, but learning to live with it.  My balance is really coming along, especially since I've been able to use a treadmill and do lots of headturning exercises.

Is anyone out there a sailor who's able to resume their passion?  I am a former Caribbean charterboat captain-turned landlubber who still loves to sail.  Before I was diagnosed I took my landlubber husband down to the Virgins and bareboated for 2 weeks and we came home ready to buy a boat for our retirement and go cruising.  Darn Brain tumor and resulting vestibular disorder really changed all that! :-[

Am also a Parrothead
Luv,
Captain Deb
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 06:55:51 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

mac

Re: Any or Sailors out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:28:22 pm »
Donna & I have been sailors for 30 plus years. Our current boat is in S. Freeport, ME. Here's a link to an couple of pictures http://www.jcruiser.org/42/j42.htm. It's been sitting at the dock ready to do since April 3rd.  :'( 
1.1cm AN (left) via Translab 4/14/06 Mass General
Dr's McKenna & Barker

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
Re: Any Sailors out there?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 07:10:25 pm »
Finally-another sailor!  Read my thread titled "2 ANS go Hiking" and you'll find another. I helped deliver a Cabo Rico 42 from FL to Charleston SC offshore and got seasick for the first time ever and noticed that I couldn't scramble around the foredeck quite like I used to--attributed it to getting a smidge older.

I still struggle with balance issues and I go to the gym or walk at least 2 miles every day.
I think folks with finely tuned balance systems eg. active or athletic people, have an easier time of it retraining their balance systems than those who've been a bit sedentary pre-treatment.

How are you doing?
Lovely boat--looks fast! I used to race a Tartan in the Rolex Cup in the Virgins--a lot of time with an all-female crew.  Most of my sailong has been on traditional boats and mostly wood at that.

Captain Deb 8)

Kilroy1976

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 08:25:28 pm »
Cap'n, if you ever need help doing anything in the vicinity of the Virgin Islands, or anywhere in the Caribbean for that matter, my fiancee and I are "on board" to help. :) We have no real experience, but we take our Jon Boat out on the Gulf when we can (that takes some guts at times). We've "sailed" the Caribbean on cruise ships if that counts for anything. And we've been out on the Great Lakes in rough weather, which for my money is as bad or worse than anything the ocean can throw at you. Take us with you!!!!
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

mac

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 06:27:08 am »
We've done lots of bare-boat charters in the BVI's and Abaco's plus once to Tahiti (spectacular). I've also done deliveries: Bermuda to Tortola; Mass to Beruda - thru remains of 1st hurricane Floyd - 50knot winds, 30 ft seas, cold, soaked, sea sick - most fun I've ever had!  Now we stick to coastal cruising in Maine out of the Portland Yacht Club. It'll be "interesting" to see how my balance issues resolve over the summer. But first to get through the 2 more weeks of IV drug therapy to fix the meningitis.
1.1cm AN (left) via Translab 4/14/06 Mass General
Dr's McKenna & Barker

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 08:38:40 am »
I looooooved Bermuda!! Spent 6 weeks there on a 90 foot ketch  that I had boarded in St. Thomas, cruised down island for Antigua Race Week, and was helping take up to Connecticut via Bermuda for a toal refit. She was a beauty--built in Cowes in 1923.  Beken of Cowes photos of her in her original topsail schooner rig were framed in the main saloon.  Forward galley in the crews quarters made cooking quite a challenge!
I worked as a bareboat skipper for La Vida and the Moorings in the 70's and 80's. My favorite job--no maintenance or babysitting.

Good luck with getting back on board!

Captain Deb 8)