Author Topic: Canadian Thanksgiving  (Read 7025 times)

opp2

Canadian Thanksgiving
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »
Thanksgiving is this weekend in Canada.

It's kind of tough to be thankful when you find out that what you've known all along the past couple of years is that something just isn't right. From the MRI results to the first fledgling consults, to internet searches, booking surgery, canceling surgery, booking surgery with some of the best surgeons at a high price, to finding out there is a surgeon touted to be among the best, right here in Canada, canceling another surgery, and waiting waiting still waiting.

What is easy, is to be Thankful for all of you. So as I work my way through this week up to this coming Monday, when families gather to give thanks, I say to you all. Thanks for being here.

Donnalynn, thank you for your for your offers of phone calls, and your help with Dr. F, Adrienne, thank YOU for your patience, time and support, Steve, thank you for making hats, Mellowrama for being ...well Mellow..Phyl for being the First Mate on Cpt'n Deb's ship. For Nani for coming for a virtual walk with me when you were tired of everything....Jim for being the voice of reason.....all of you, for all you give when you've already given so much of yourselves...

Thanks.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

tenai98

Re: Canadian Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:16:07 am »
Happy thanksgiving from another canuck....I"m thankful that after 6 months of recovery and my own physical therapy, I am back to work...only part time until the week after the holiday....then I'm going back to teaching incar lessons for 5 hours a day.....think I'll stay with only 5 hrs a day on a permanent basis....and I'm thankful that my situation allows me to do such.
JO

HAPPY GOBBLE GOBBLE EVERYONE
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:23:11 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends! I hope you all find many things to be thankful for - sometimes you just have to look really hard, but I know they're there.

Enjoy!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 02:30:42 pm »
Hi Nikki,

I was wondering how you were doing.  Thanks for the wonderful note.  It's true-it's a great group on here.

Here's hoping that next year at this time, this will be a memory........and that you can add your successful recovery to your list of things to be thankful for.  I know that probably seems like forever away from now, but time really does fly by.  The minutes, hours and days sometimes drag on, but the months and years have a way of flying by.

Your positive outlook will take you far.  It's so normal to feel afraid, bitter, angry, nervous, etc; but you have a great way of trying to see all that is good around you too.

Happy Thanksgiving.  Enjoy your family and being all together.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:49:41 pm »
Nikki ~

The kind of sincere appreciation you've shown for the folks that offer their help and advice on these forums is really all any of us could want.  I won't dilute the strength of your heartfelt thanks by trying to add too much to the thread that hasn't already been stated, except to say, for my part, anyway, 'you're welcome' - and attach my wish for a better future - minus your AN. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:22:44 pm »
To my fellow AN Canadians,

In memory of my FIL "Happy Tanks Day"......with a heavy Italian accent! 

Actually Thanksgiving is my most favourite holiday.  I have such fond memories from my childhood and I know my sons will have wonderful memories to look back on when they are my age.  I always try to mix the holiday with family and friends.  I am selective and I only invite the people who I truly want to spend the day with.  I cook Italian for my husband and Canadian with a Hungarian twist.  Soaking the turkey in water with salt and brown sugar over night, tons of unsalted butter under the turkey skin, a bread stuffing made with sauteed onions in more butter, lots of fresh parsley from the garden, Italian sausage, egg, salt and pepper.  Than I top the turkey with 1lb of bacon.  In the oven @ 325 and basting every 30 mins.  I also prepare a pasta to start, mashed potatoes, salad, candied carrots and cutlets especially for Louie because he is not turkey fan, but he loves the stuffing.  This year I am not baking.  There are some very good pies on the grocery store shelves, with a good vanilla ice cream and the meal is done.   

Now what do I have to be thankful for.....my family, friends and this wonderful wonderful forum.  I will be toasting all of you on Monday.

Buon Appetite,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:52 pm »
My middle daughter was born on Thanksgiving Day (American) so it is my favorite holiday too. Your dinner sounds delicious, Anne Marie. I wish you and yours a peaceful, happy day.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:46:55 pm »
I think I responded to the turkey with bacon description last year. Still sounds delicious, though.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 05:57:06 am »
Anne Marie -

Happen to have an extra seat for me at the table?  Sounds like it would be worth the trip to Canada for that meal?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 10:27:16 am »
Yes Lori I will always have room for you!!!

It is too bad it is only Canadians and Americans who celebrate Thanksgiving.  I know the historical significances, but it is a holiday in which the whole world should participates in.  Whether turkey is eaten or samosas, there is just so much to be thankful for.  Maybe other cultures do have a celebration after the harvest, it is something I think I might do some googling about. 

Steve you have a good memory!  And just so you know I am very thankful for my purple hat  :-*  It is getting colder, so I will be posting a picture soon.....if I remember how to work photobucket  ::)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 11:57:48 am »
..Phyl for being the First Mate on Cpt'n Deb's ship.

Very thankful holiday wishes to all my friends nor' of da border. May you not feel overly-stuffed today (after all of the gobble-gobble), may this day bring joy to you and your's and most of all..... may it be a reminder for all that we should be truly thankful, as there truly is much for us to be thankful.

... and for the speshal notation of me :)

Happy CAN thanksgiving!
Phyl, cursed cruise director of the PBW! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keeping Up

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 10:46:39 pm »
Sometimes I miss several days worth of posts ...

I loved my Thanksgiving Dinner so much last week, I basically repeated it this week again but with chicken and no stuffing (can't make it well) because my parents are in town for an extra week.   

I didn't make last week's meal - but my BIL made the bird (turkey last week) with a pound of bacon on top (yummy) and ton of pancetta in the stuffing.  I had never heard of bacon on the top of the bird either - makes the gravy taste even better.   It was one of the best meals in years. 

I have lots to be thankful for - and my small AN has just shown me how much more I need to be thankful every day.  A random, surprise diagnosis could change my world (I probably worry less about me than my children.)  I am truly blessed to be able to simply go on with the daily stuff and not have to worry (too much) about this darn thing.  I have, right now, the most perfect life - and fully know it could change in a flash.  It makes me appreciate every ounce of every day. 

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'