Author Topic: Decision Made!  (Read 4375 times)

KJ

• kate's corner
Decision Made!
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:53:26 am »
Hi Everyone,

I guess I'll  have to move over to this forum now! Just a little note to let you know that I have finally made my decision about what to do with my brain tumor.  I’m going to go with radiation treatment.  Next Thursday I go to Precision Radiotherapy in West Chester, Ohio to get my MRI/CT Scan and Friday I get my mask made.  After that I begin twenty six radiation treatments over the next month.  I felt that this was the best treatment for me.  I am simply not comfortable with head surgery and radiation treatment is outpatient treatment.  My regular schedule will not be interrupted and I can continue to work and function normally. I feel good about my decision and am anxious to get started. I will keep you updated as I progress through treatment.  Thanks to all who replied to my comments and concerns and thanks to everyone for having this forum.  It has been a great relief to have others to turn to with my questions.  You all have been a big help in determining my treatment.
 ;D
Kate
58yr, married, no children.  Recently diagnosed with 10mm AN on left side.  70% hearing loss, tinnitus, some balance problems.  Previous mastoid eardrum replacements in both ears resulting in 60% loss on right side.  Currently considering treatment options.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Decision Made!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »
Kate,

congrats on making your decision... bet it feels like a monkey off your back, eh? :)  Please keep us updated on how things are going... and know we are cheering you on.  Time time to get the "suck'a" dead.

again, congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 02:09:45 pm »
Way to go Kate! Sounds like a good plan going into the future. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 02:26:09 pm »
Kate ~

Congratulations on making that critical treatment decision.  We wish you total success!

Back in 2006, I underwent 26 FSR treatments to destroy the DNA of the tumor that remained following my debulking surgery earlier that year (this was a planned 2-step procedure).  The FSR treatments were tedious but painless and in my case, uneventful.  Later MRI scans showed them to also be successful.  I hope you'll have the same experience. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

KJ

• kate's corner
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 03:54:27 pm »
Phyl, Mickey, and Jim, thank you all so much for your support.  I was told today that the procedures should be painless and easy. (I hope, I hope). I feel fine at the moment; balance problem is not too noticable, so I guess my brain is beginning to compensate, and I guess my hearing problem will not change no matter what procedure I choose, so I am comfortable with my choice.  I will check in next week, after my first appointment.

Kate
58yr, married, no children.  Recently diagnosed with 10mm AN on left side.  70% hearing loss, tinnitus, some balance problems.  Previous mastoid eardrum replacements in both ears resulting in 60% loss on right side.  Currently considering treatment options.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:28:39 pm »
Kate,

I also wish you the best. I did Cyberknife radiation two years ago, and I am very happy with that decision. I think it is a good fit for your case.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:41:25 pm »
Congratulations on making your decision, Kate - that's not an easy thing to do.

I'm confident that things will turn out well for you.  Those who have chosen radiation are very happy with their decision.

Looking forward to an update,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

eab

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:34 am »
Congratulations on making your decision, what a huge relief.  Continue to have confidence in your choice and this will be a distant memory in no time.  I'm still only 3+ months out from GK and hardly ever think about my AN, it is so nice to not stress about it anymore! (Yes, I know I'm still recovering, but I am enjoying this peaceful time!)

Best of luck,
Beth
Left side AN 2.5x1.7x1.5cm, limited hearing loss, limited tin., good balance
GK 7/6/09 Hoag Hospital; MRIs at 2, 6 & 12 months show no change in tumor size - hearing etc. same as before GK.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 05:18:33 pm »
Kate .....

So glad the decision-making phase is behind you.  Many of us found that the most stressful part of the whole ordeal.  In your situation, radiation sounds like a good choice to make and I know things will go well for you.

Thoughts and prayers.  Keep posting to let us know how you are.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 03:47:30 pm »
Kate,

Congratulations on making a decision!  I am sure having that part behind you give you peace.  It sounds like this procedure will be best for you. 

Best of luck!!!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »
CONGRATS!!!  You've passed one of the biggest hurdles....making a decision.  From this point on...you'll be at peace with yourself.  Was truely the hardest part for me.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

KJ

• kate's corner
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 05:33:07 pm »
Wow, Guys!  Thanks so much for all the support!  You're all right, making the decision was hard, but receiving the diagnosis was actually the hardest part.  What a blow that was!  I was truly overwhelmed with the responsiblilty of having to decide.  I thought a doctor would tell me which one would be best for me.  If I had my choice, I would have chosen to do NOTHING! I usually avoid medical issues concerning myself until they are critical, so with that in mind I have taken a huge step in a good direction.
I appreciate all the concern and support.

Kate