Author Topic: Getting Ready  (Read 2587 times)

KJ

• kate's corner
Getting Ready
« on: October 30, 2009, 03:56:28 pm »
Yesterday I had my second MRI, (this one for the radiologist) and today I had my CT scan and had my mask fitted.  Wow! That sucker is tight! I can see how some people who may be claustrophobic would have a fear of this.  I, personally, am not uncomfortable in tight spaces, but when the attendants were trying to mesh this thing to my face, I was in fear of not getting enough air! After all was done with the fitting, I got my CT scan while wearing the new mask and it fit a little better, but still tight.  I also got a list of all unsavory side effects that could happen. I read them and I am still thinking positive thoughts. I still feel this is the right treatment for me.
As soon as they get approval from my insurance company we will schedule treatments.  In the meantime, I am enjoying the now.
Kate
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:25:12 pm by KJ »
58yr, married, no children.  Recently diagnosed with 10mm AN on left side.  70% hearing loss, tinnitus, some balance problems.  Previous mastoid eardrum replacements in both ears resulting in 60% loss on right side.  Currently considering treatment options.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Getting Ready
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:05:36 pm »
Hi, Kate ~

Well, things are moving right along!  I remember the 'mask' fitting was a bit uncomfortable but the techs made numerous adjustments (and 2 different masks) until it finally fit relatively comfortably. 

I trust you'll get through this procedure just fine, as I did.  Meanwhile, I applaud your attitude of living in the moment, as we all should. 

Let us know when you have your schedule.  Thanks. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:35:44 pm »
Kate .....

Glad to know everything is moving forward towards treatment.  It is the beforehand stuff that is so unnerving.  Soon you will be a toastie postie.   ;D ..... and feel so much relief.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

KJ

• kate's corner
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:29:46 pm »
Jim, thanks. I think they made a minor adjustment to the mask today because I said that my nose was so squashed that I had trouble getting air. I didn't know that I would not even be able to open my eyes! I may request some more adjustment later.

Thanks for the support, Clarice. I really don't know what to expect. I guess I'm just feeling my way down the hallway hoping for a good outcome. I'll keep you posted.

Kate
58yr, married, no children.  Recently diagnosed with 10mm AN on left side.  70% hearing loss, tinnitus, some balance problems.  Previous mastoid eardrum replacements in both ears resulting in 60% loss on right side.  Currently considering treatment options.