Author Topic: Pre-surgery excercises?  (Read 4502 times)

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
Pre-surgery excercises?
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:40:40 am »
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to ask this question - mods feel free to relocate if necessary!

I'm leaning towards surgery right now and wondering if any "posties" have suggestions for pre-surgical exercises that might help speed up my recovery if/when I go in for surgery.  I will be doing more cardio and some free weights over the next few months, but didn't know if there are any exercises that help develop better balance.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

OTO

Re: Pre-surgery excercises?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:54:55 pm »
Any exercise pre-surgery is good.  The more active you are the better you'll feel.    Strengthening the core will help balance.   Some folks start yoga or tai-chi post-surgery for the balance aspects.   Pre-surgery would be beneficial too. 

I was a couch-potato pre-surgery.  Post-surgery, I walked about 2 miles - 3 times a week for the 8 weeks I was recovering.   I have since gone back to being a couch-potato, and I find myself a little dizzy at times....   I guess it's time to buy walking shoes and get off the couch...   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47:48 pm »
Although I don't think this is the kind of exercise you had in mind, my neurotologist gave me vestibular exercises to do prior to my surgery.

I did them post op too and they helped me immensely.  I feel they were instrumental in helping me regain my balance and my eye coordination.

If you'd like I can snail mail or email you a copy of the exercises I was given - just PM me with either your mailing or email address.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:31:00 am »
I told my surgeon that I exercised everyday and asked a similar question as yours. He advised me to keep exercising up until the day before surgery and I did. I had a quick recovery from surgery without complications and was able to resume my workout schedule about 3 weeks after surgery.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:09:58 am »
As others have said-the more excercise you do prior to surgery the healthier and stronger your body will be after surgery. I was and am an avid yoga practioner and I am conviced that my yoga practice helped me with the wobbliness I had post up. I think that from yoga I had a better feel for where my body is spacially and especially in the first few days helped me focus mentally so that I did not fall down! Whatever you do, I think that exercise proir to surgery can only help. Good Luck!

Erin

ANcoleader

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:45:07 am »
Hello......I think you just asked a million dollar question.  Yes, you should start doing BALANCE exercises as these do help your recovery.  I tell those attending our support group to start as soon as possible to help get the show on the road sooner and continue after.  I have done an experiment with our support group and prior to our meeting starting I ask even the guests to try some simple balance exercises and with some reluctance they try and are shocked to see they even have balance issues...so you are never wrong to start and get your body prepped and definitely continue forever and ENJOY ...LIFE is GREAT!

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:49:38 am »
Just get moving - anything will help!  Sounds like you are already on the right path!  I believe that with ANY surgery, the healthier and more active you are going in, the better the outcome...

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

epodjn

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 03:24:51 pm »
My doctors said any kind of exercise would help. I walked 2 to 3 miles a day before and fairly soon after surgery and know that I'm 10 months out I can really tell a difference in my balance when I haven't walked for a few days. Riding in the car is the worst for my balance. After a few days in the car I look like a drunk!!!
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:33:11 pm »
I agree with everyone here.  Anything will help.  I was very active/fit prior to surgery, and had no balance issues afterwards (I realize that some have issues/some don't-regardless of fitness level, but I do believe it helped a lot).  I would suggest doing things with weights on one leg.  Ie: Stand with weights in both hands, lift one leg-stepping forward, lift that same leg and go backwards (forward and backward lunges with weights).  Also, try one leg lifted (with weights in both hands again) and going into a backwards lunge.  Instead of coming up to a start/standing position-go right from the back lunch to a knee lift or kick.  It takes a ton of balance.  Do it 10 times on the same leg, and then change to the other side.  Repeat. 

Good luck!
Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!