Author Topic: What I Did On My Summer Vacation!  (Read 2736 times)

Jill Marie

What I Did On My Summer Vacation!
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:04:02 pm »

I was going to post this about 3 weeks ago but then I got really busy at work and haven’t had the time or energy.  I know we all get frustrated because there are things we can’t do or can’t do as well as we use to so I thought I would post about accomplishing things in spite of or maybe even because of  what we can no longer do or think we can’t do.  I’ll explain! 

My husband & I went to the Oregon Coast for our vacation late in July as we like the weather there and of course watching the waves come in, we fly our kites, catch a beautiful sunset or 2 and go hiking.  We were camping at Cape Lookout where they say the 3rd best hike in Oregon is.  It was a 2.6 mile hike to Cape Lookout Point, you could drive to the trail head or take a 2.4 mile hike to the trail head.  We walk and hike with the dogs quite a bit so we decided to go for the whole hike.  About ½ way through the first part of the hike I couldn’t help but wonder who’s crazy idea it was to go on this hike,  the map listed it as easy to moderate, I would hate to see what difficult was.  When we got to the trail head for the Cape hike my husband asked me if I wanted to go back and skip the rest of the hike.  I said no way,  I can’t miss the 3rd best hike in Oregon, especially after what I just went through.  We did the Cape hike and boy was it worth it, it was much easier than the first hike so we were able to enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way.  I will admit though that I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn’t so tired.  After we did the Cape hike we still had to get back to camp, we could go back the way we came or walk along the highway.  There were a few other hikers that weren’t to thrilled about  going the way we came either so we opted for the road.  It was a long walk but definitely easier than the trail.  When we got back to camp I added up the miles, we had hiked 10 miles and I could feel every bit of it.  My toes were so sore that I couldn’t put shoes on after my shower.  Most of the walk back to camp was down hill so my feet slide into my shoes and were oh so sore.  Luckily the next day we were leaving the campground and heading for a family reunion so we could sit in the truck for a few hours and recuperate.  There was no one to complain to as the hike was all MY idea!

The first Friday after our vacation I found out that the girl I work with was having surgery the following Monday and I would be doing her job and mine for the next 3 to 6 weeks.  I didn’t know how to do all her tasks and to top it off neither did my boss.  We had the end of the month accounts to process which keeps us both VERY busy and here I was about to do it without her.  I was so worried about it that I couldn’t sleep that night which made it hard to be on top of my game so she could tell me at work the next day how to do her job, in a condensed version.  We have a great boss as he told me that Saturday morning that it wasn’t all on my shoulders and to try and relax and if something big went wrong it was all his fault.  That really seemed to help as I calmed down and enjoyed the rest of the weekend.  My SSD and having to use eye ointment every 15 minutes concerned me, I have to answer the phone, weigh vehicles on the scale and help customers at the counter all at the same time. 

It’s been 4 weeks now and I survived and I’m actually glad I got the opportunity to see that I could do the job.  It really boosted my confidence and reminded me once again that I can do more than I think I can.  SO, in the future I won’t be as quick to dismiss the possibility of doing something I thought I couldn’t  because of my SSD & eye issues.  Hopefully I only have to put in 1 more week of overtime so I can enjoy what’s left of  Summer!  We are going on vacation in September, perhaps I’ll try sky diving, just kidding!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: What I Did On My Summer Vacation!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:55:25 pm »
Hi, Jill ~

Thanks for that informative, interesting account of your recent vacation at the Oregon coast.  As you intended, it reads as tiring but rewarding.  The job issues  were clearly daunting but you seem to have handled that challenge quite well.  It's obvious that these experiences have, as you stated, really boosted your self-confidence and allowed you to understand that, even with SSD and eye issues, you can still live a normal 'personal' life and handle work-related challenges, too.  This should be encouraging for those contemplating surgery/radiation, or struggling with post-treatment complications and thinking it will always be this way.  Your recent experiences, as you described n your post, demonstrate that with some motivation and determination, you can overcome AN-related problems and break through to normalcy.  Of course, sometimes when you do that, your feet will hurt, but it's worth it for the elation that comes with accomplishment.  Well done!  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:47:57 pm »
Sounds like it was beautiful! Glad you toughed out the entire distance and got to see it all. Good for you!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:33:11 pm »
Jill Marie,

I go to Cape Lookout State Park- a lot. If I knew you were in the area I would have joined you. Good for you for doing the trek!

Isn't the Oregon Coast beautiful!!

Heads up we have an Oregon support group meeting coming up and this time we are even inviting ALL those Washingtonians...

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10334.0

Moderator Steve  ;D has come to these meetings- often adourned in hiking boots. If you wear hiking boots too- you will fit right in. ;)

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:03:42 pm »
Jim, thanks for letting me know that I got my message across.  As I wrote it I wondered if those reading the post would understand what I was trying to say.  You summed it up perfectly!  As I was hiking and getting tired I reminded myself that there was a time when I couldn't have taken that hike and that there are others that can't now so I should do it for me and for them.  That's when I decided I would share my story in hopes that others as you say, will realize that those with AN's can still live a normal personal life.  My husband hasn't had AN surgery and his feet hurt just as bad as mine and we both walked funny the next day! 

Keri,  yes the hike was beautiful, lush green trees, ferns & a wonderful view of the ocean and ocean beaches.  I planned on posting a picture so all of you could see what I got to (earned the right to) see but when we got to the Cape Point I found out that my camera wouldn't work because I had a 1 gig card in it and my camera was to old to use that card.  It's ok because I can and always will be able to see the sight in my mind! 

DHM I suppose you're going to tell me that your were at Cape Lookout on July 15th & 16th and you could have warned me about the 1st part of the hike.  Have you gone on the hike?  We love the coast, this is our 2nd vacation there.  We started out at Waldport then headed north.  Next year I think we will start out at Cape Lookout and head toward Astoria.  As for the group meeting, that weekend is the last part of our vacation and we will be spending it by ourselves as the first part we will be steelhead fishing with my Dad. We are about 7 hours from Portland so perhaps we can meet some other time.  I'll be sure and wear my hiking boots!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:50:25 pm »
Hiking Cape Lookout link that has photos (& hiking tips)

http://www.oregon.com/hiking/capelookout.cfm

July 15th & 16th I was in Chicago at the ANA symposium so would NOT have run into you on the trail- that particular weekend.
Nevertheless I love hiking on the Oregon Coast any time I have an opportunity. The sights, the smell, the ocean breeze and mist… :) Bliss

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!