Author Topic: Mayo Clinic  (Read 4882 times)

mjminer

Mayo Clinic
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:53:54 pm »
Hello, My name is Mike I've been reading these posts off and on the past couple of months.  This site is very helpful.  I'm 27 years old,I found out I have a 3-4mm AN on my right side.  I've decided after much consideration and many doctor visits to go to Mayo to get the middle fossa approach done by Dr. Link and Driscol.  Just wondered if anywone else has had this done there and would like to comment.  Having the surgery Sept 2nd.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Mayo Clinic
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:59:40 pm »
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum  ;D

If you search on "Mayo" you'll find some threads with the information you seek.  Here is one of those threads http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7197.0

You can also search on Link and/or Driscol and you'll find threads about them if there are any.

When you get a chance, please put your surgery date on the AN Calendar (you'll find a link in sgerrard's profile) so we can all wish you well prior to your big day.  We like to keep track of our fellow forumites and follow their progress.  We're just like one big happy family!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:31:11 pm »
Hi, Mike - and welcome.  I'm sorry you have an acoustic neuroma but glad you found this website.  I'm pleased to learn it's been helpful to you in your research.  The Mayo Clinic has a splendid reputation and you'll be in good hands there.

I took the liberty of adding your surgery date to our AN Treatment Calendar http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d02/09/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B  Feel free to edit it.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mjminer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:44:10 pm »
Thanks for responding, I've read alot of those mayo posts.  Just wanted to hear from someone that had that procedure there, pretty nerved up about the whole thing.  Thanks

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:43:13 pm »
Hi Mike! Your a very young person with such a tiny AN. I would presume with today`s  modern technology may as will be rid of this now. At your age have to much time ahead to to just monitor it. Sounds like your in good hands, Best wishes, Mickey

mjminer

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:23:25 am »
Thanks for the encouragement, heading up to Mayo today for and MRI and pre-surgery stuff early in the morning tuesday.  Then its off to surgery sometime wednesday.  I'm just glad to go get this over with, I'm sick of thinking about it.  Too much stress!!!!

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:18:19 am »
Hey there - just wanted to chime in and offer healing thoughts and prayers your way.  I went to Mayo for GK last Fall; I was impressed with Dr. Link and I have met Dr. Driscoll too.   Both are wonderful people as well as Drs. - and you are in great hands there.  Everything will go like clockwork.  I was most impressed on how smoothly things run there.   I've said it before:  like a well-oiled machine.  Take care, we'll be pulling for you.    ~Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn

alwaysthere

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 07:57:00 pm »
Mike,

As you head off to Rochester, my prayers are with you. As you know from our emails, I feel you are in great hands and will be okay. I will be making another trip there in 2 weeks for my post-op. Good luck and God Bless.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 07:56:30 pm »
Hi Mike,

Just wanted to wish you good luck, prayers and a speedy recovery.

Vivian 
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.