Author Topic: BAHA 1 week post-op visit!  (Read 3456 times)

kma

BAHA 1 week post-op visit!
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:30:55 am »
Had my 1 week post-op BAHA visit this morning.  Dr. LaRouere took off the healing cap and pad/sponge thing.  Ahhh.....now I can itch itch itch away without worrying about screwing anything up.  Joy!  Everything is healing well and other than thinking that I'd get my stitches removed today and finding out that they are disolvable and will come out on their own.....I am a happy camper.  I never felt any pain but oh my gosh did the itching drive me nuts.  I felt like a dog ~ scratch, scratch, scratch!  :P  I keep feeling it with my fingers and have this urge to whip the stitches out ~ but no worries.........I won't reeeeeeally do it!  Two more days of not washing my hair like "normal" (thank goodness for my baha survival kit CUP) and the only new thing is using my brush to "scrub" the post with peroxide.  Next check-up in a month and then I think that will be it until my 3 months of healing are up!!  Hard part is over and it wasn't even hard!!  Happy day!
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: BAHA 1 week post-op visit!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:40:08 am »
Great journal entry, kma, for those of us who may some day be able to share your experience.
Here's hoping,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:46:18 am »
Glad to hear things are going well!
I still get some itching occasionally. What I do is scratch my scalp around the area that wasn't affected by the surgery, and it really helps.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

kma

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 09:59:19 am »
Oh my gosh ~ I have to tell you one more funny thing........the surgery was really great ~ I didn't feel a thing and I didn't get sick or anything.  Truly great and coming from me (big chicken) that is something!  The funny part is that the nurse could not find a vein and she tried and tried and so when I got home, my arm was bruised from wrist to the inside of my elbow ~ well, last night I took myself out to the mall for a bit of shopping and a pedicure (gift from my mom ~ thank god she understands the value of good toes).  Well, I went to Nordstrom's make-up counter and was at the MAC counter~~~~just looking.  You would have thought I was a shoplifter the way this woman followed me back and forth and all around.  I couldn't figure out what the scoop was ~ I'm an average looking person ~ nothing special - nothing crazy ~ I was dressed in dress as I was coming from work ~ so, after being "sharked" by this woman for about 20 minutes ~ I left.  I couldn't figure it out at the time but I really think she saw my bruised arm and must have thought I was some crazy drug addict!!  I really really think so.  Makes me lol every time I think of it.  I'm 43 years old and have never even had a drink ~ too darn funny!!!  I think I'll have to go back and test the waters again!!   ::)
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:27:56 pm »
Kathy ~

Congratulations on surviving (with aplomb) the BAHA surgery and follow-up. 

Your account of the salesclerk 'shadowing' you at Nordstroms because she (probably) assumed you were a drug addict (and potential shoplifter) is amusing.  It underlines the reality that we often make snap judgments based on appearances, even though we may like to think that we don't.  Of course, with shoplifting being a real plague for retail stores, I can understand the clerk's suspicions when she saw your heavily-bruised arm.  Still, it's weird to be seen as a 'threat' when you're far from the person this woman likely assumed you were.  You could have felt insulted but I'm pleased to note that you saw the experience as ironic and, ultimately, amusing.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:45:55 pm »
OH yes the itch I rememeber it very well  :o good lick on the healing it goes fast but  seems like forever, if that makes sense.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

grega

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 11:19:02 am »
Hi Kathy ....... perhaps the clerk was looking at your arm and drooling for the opportunity to apply makeup to cover the bruising .........  ::)

A possibility at the make-up counter ?????????
Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:45:23 pm »
The itching drove me crazy  ::)

I actually called the doc's office and asked it if was normal post op.  Someone on his staff told me she'd never heard of it, but I'm thinking that just isn't true!

You mention a needle, Kathy.  So does that mean you had general anesthesia? 

Also, have you tried the fun trick yet of rubbing your index finger very lightly over your titanium abutment just to hear the noise your finger tip makes?  Extremely cool  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways