Author Topic: insurance covering baha.  (Read 2596 times)

ernie h

insurance covering baha.
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:43:30 pm »
i recently came across the price of on of these hearing units.do any insurance companies cover these??.thanks ernie h.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: insurance covering baha.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 02:14:41 pm »
Ernie H,

My quick answer to you is yes and no -- it depends on your insurance company and policy. My best advice to you is to ask your doctor ( the one you would get the BAHA surgery from).  They should know if your insurance company will or won't cover it, and if they do how much would be covered.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 02:49:55 pm »
On the cochlear corp web site they have insurance codes get them and ask your insurance company if they cover them. http://www.cochlearamericas.com/Support/2022.asp this web site explaines it.  http://www.omsinsurancesupport.org/ will help you find out if you are covered hope this helps. You can email me if you need more info I will try my best to help you get more info.

Mike Corso
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:49:59 am »
Ernie -

the key to insurance coverage in most cases is to tell your insurance company that a BAHA isn't a hearing aid - it's an implant.  That is the truth, and it is what generally gets it covered by insurance.  Most - but not all - insurance policies don't cover conventional hearing aids.   

It is VITAL that you educate them, since most insurance companies - and even most doctors - don't know what a BAHA is.  It will also help to tell them that BAHAs are covered by Medicare/Medicaid, are considered medically necessary, and are in NO way experimental.

Also, if your insurance company covers Cochlear implants, you have a good case for getting them to cover a BAHA.  A BAHA is to unilaterally deaf people (SSD) what a Cochlear is to bilaterally deaf people (deafness in both ears). 

Your doctor and his staff are used to "fighting" insurance companies for coverage, so make sure you have them help you in your request for coverage.

And, if you are turned down, don't take no for an answer.  From what the ANA tells me, most BAHA requests are turned down the first time, but if you pursue it you will succeed.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ernie h

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:01:38 pm »
thanks everyone that's good info.ernie h.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.