ANA Discussion Forum

Pre-Treatment Options => Pre-Treatment Options => Topic started by: hgtvqueen on February 19, 2007, 07:05:22 pm

Title: getting nervous
Post by: hgtvqueen on February 19, 2007, 07:05:22 pm

Ok - I'm getting a little nervous - surgery is in 2 weeks.  I know everyone is different, but can anyone tell me about how long it was before you felt like going to work/school?  How about 2-3 weeks post-op?    Will the surgeons have to shave any part of the head using the mid fossa technique?  Did you have much pain afterward??   (i'm asking on behalf of my 15 yr old)
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: pearchica on February 19, 2007, 07:28:23 pm
Hi HGTVQueen (I love your name)! :D I ended up going the radiation route as I had no balance issues- however, from three different surgeons- I was quoted anywhere from 6-8 weeks for recovery- however I am a 44 year old female.  I would think a 15 year old would recover more quickly.  (Also my tumor was 2.5 CM)- I think it really depends on your surgeons opinon- he/she would have the best estimate. (I was quoted by 2 guys tranlab, third guy wanted to do retro sigmoid approach so I don't think we are comparing apples to apples, but more like apples to cauliflower).

Good luck with the surgery- and keep us posted.  Take care, Annie
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: rebarman on February 19, 2007, 07:47:28 pm
It's easy to say "don't worry it'll be all right" but that doesn't make it any easier.  I know exactly what you are feeling, having had my surgery just 3 weks ago today.

Everyone is different, and I'll will admit that I seem to have been one lucky SOB when it came to my experience. I also work at home, which is much, much easier than having to travel to work/school.

I was in the hospital from Monday morning until late Saturday afternoon. I spent much of the Sunday laying in bed or the Barcolounger. By Monday afternoon, I did feel like walking down the driveway and back to get the morning paper. On Tuesday, I actually sat at my desk and did a little paperwork. I did tire easily, but as long as I took frequent breaks, I found that could be productive. By the end of my first week home I was back to working 6-7 hours a day. I am now 3 weeks post-op and all is pretty much back to normal. I drove for the first time yesterday, with no problems. No longer need a chair in the shower, and no longer have the "wonky" head feeling.

I had the translab procedure so I can't say how they will shave the area using the mid-focca. They did shave a small area behind my ear, but now the hair has grown out enough to cover the healing scar. It isn't that noticable, other than my ear, due to the swelling, does stick out more than my other one. I do have a slight droop on that side, but is getting better each day, and should go away completely in another couple of weeks.

As for pain, I really haven't had any to speak of since I got home. They gave me a perscription for percocet that I had filled on my way home from the hospital, but I haven't used any of them.

Again, I feel like I am one of the very fortunate when it comes to post-op effects. I tell you this, not to give false hope, but to let you know that it isn't always a bad experience. Others have had bad experienes, and I feel a bit of guilt posting here sometimes because I did have such an easy time of it.

I'll keep you (and your 15 year old) in my thoughts as the date approaches.

Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: cookiesecond on February 19, 2007, 11:39:22 pm
WOW Rebarman,
You have an awesome story!!! I am glad things went so good for you. I have extinuating circumstances... so at 2 years post op, I am still home. I am still dealing with a previous neck/back injury (actually that is how my AN was discovered)

Most people get back into the swing of things in a few weeks. You are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery and an awesome outcome. Keep us posted.I know it is hard but try to stay busy and only entertain positive thoughts!!!
Take care,
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: nancyann on February 20, 2007, 07:10:43 am
Hi hgtv queen:

I had retrosigmoid;  went back to work after 2 months & 3days a week first 2 weeks.
As you can see, everyone is different; I actually wish I had waited another month or so...
I was also dealing with right facial paralysis, eye surgery...  the fatigue & stress from dealing
with these issues took me for a loop !!

Best advice is listen to your body, when you need a nap don't fight it.

All the best,  Nancy

ps Rebarman:  are you related to Superman ??!!!!!
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: ppearl214 on February 20, 2007, 12:55:03 pm
Hi hgtv... you are going to be fine! :)  See all the folks on this site that have had the surgery? See how everyone is doing as well as can be? See that life does go on and we thrive and take deep breaths when needed and reach out for huggles when needed? See how we are all here for you? :)

We ARE here for you.... we're gonna get you through this.  You are most certainly entitled to feel nervous/anxious and if you didn't, heck, to me, you wouldn't be "normal" (boy, lousy label, eh?)... but never forget that everyone here that has had the surgery (or any treatment), regardless of their particular situation, move on.... and live life :)  And so will you.


Guess who? :)
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: Desilu on February 20, 2007, 05:36:07 pm

I had middle fossa done at House Ear Clinic. I was 46 at the time. I had surgery on Tuesday and was doing so well that the doctors released me Friday afternoon.  Saturday, with the help of my son and sister we went out sightseeing. I was still on pain meds but felt good enough to be up and about. I went back to work after 8 weeks. I did not suffer from fatigue. When I first came home I had the usual issues, dry eye, some facial paralysis but this was all temporary. The nurse shaved four fingers above my ear. If you lay your hand horizontally at the top of your ear, that's how high they shaved it. I really thought that shaving my head could be the worst thing possible but after I opened my eyes after surgery and realized that I was still alive, I wouldn't have cared if they would have shaved my entire head! My perspective about things really changed after that. Don't sweat the small stuff! If you have any questions, I would be more than willing to talk to you, just send me an email. I wish your daughter (son) the best.  She (he) will be in my prayers.    Ann
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: pearchica on February 26, 2007, 09:49:03 pm
Nice to hear about the success stories with surgery- that's awesome- also Rebarman- that's great about your recovery. Take care- and HGTV - keep us posted.  Annie
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: Musicman on March 03, 2007, 11:38:43 pm
The four neurosurgeons I have talked with (2 radio, 2 open) all said expect at least a six week recovery.  When I pressed one on timelines, he said I should plan on a MINIMUM of 6 weeks downtime from work.
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: hgtvqueen on March 17, 2007, 11:25:50 pm
 ;D ;D ;D
Hi Guys,

UPDATE!! Just got back from LA yesterday.  Surgery went great.  Tumor was removed (1.2 cm) and hearing @100% just as we'd hoped. There is some residual facial weakness that should disapear gradually.  I can't say enough about Dr.s Friedmann and Hitselberger.  They did an outstanding job. Dr Friedmann personally did the "haircut" - the incision is completely covered by her long hair.  Surgery was on Tuesday, she was released on Saturday morning.  We left the following Friday.  She felt good enough Friday night (even after the long flight!) to go out to eat with her girlfriends.  I went to bed and slept for 14 hrs straight!

Seton Hall was wonderful as well. We met alot of nice people and it was interesting to hear of others experiences.  The rooms were nice and confortable, and having the washers/dryers was so convenient. 

Thanks everyone for your words of support.  It helped alot.  We'll be going back to House at some point as we have to take care of the other tumor on the right ear (2 cm).  Dr. Friedmann gave us a couple of options, but right now, just need to get over this one.   
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: Derek on March 18, 2007, 05:51:02 am
Hi there...

Great to know that your daughter's surgery went so well...15 years old is far too young to have to contend with such matters...she is a very courageous young lady.

I do hope that she has a speedy and full recovery and very best wishes for the same success at the next stage.


Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: Desilu on March 18, 2007, 06:11:18 am
So glad to hear that everything went so well! Your daughter will be back to her old self in no time. I can't say enough about the good doctors at House Ear Clinic, they are awesome! My thoughts and prayers are with your daughter for a full recovery.  Ann
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: jerseygirl on March 18, 2007, 08:57:11 am
These are incredibly happy news! Congratulations! Hopefully, your daughter's hearing in the second ear can be saved as well.

Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: flier58 on March 18, 2007, 11:28:30 am
Hooray for great otcomes.  Best wishes for sppedy recovery to this cool, awesom young lady!!!
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: cookiesecond on March 21, 2007, 07:24:19 am
I praise God for such wonderful news!!! As a mother whose daughter had brain surgery, I can relate to all those anxious feelings so I am so glad this first surgery is behind you.I pray the next hurdle will have a great outcome also.
Take care and know we are here for you.
Title: Re: getting nervous
Post by: pearchica on March 26, 2007, 07:44:15 pm
Awesome NEWS!  Good to know that things are going well - that's fabulous!  Take care! Annie