ANA Discussion Forum
Treatment Options => Radiation / Radiosurgery => Topic started by: gbly on August 25, 2020, 02:43:38 pm
I want to apologies up front if this post is already with the thread, I went through about 30 pages. The reading was very informative.
My AN was found April 2019 and was put in a wait and watch. My 1 year MRI has shown rapid growth to 1.6 cm. Of course the surgeon wants to operate but I am leaning heavily towards the GK. I have a follow up in two weeks with the Dr. so the below questions will be asked, but wanted to get others input so I go in with as much information as possible.
My questions to the group are:
1. What the heck does rapid growth mean in the grand scheme?
2. Will GK work on a rapid growth AN?
3. What was your experience and where are you at now?
Thank you and appreciate everyone and the way forward.
Left AN found April 2019 - 4 - 5 mm
1 yr MRI - Aug 2020 1.6 cm
Hi gbly and welcome to this forum .....
In preparation for your appointment in a couple of weeks, you might want to check out the ANA list of questions for physicians found at: https://www.anausa.org/learn-about-acoustic-neuroma/question-to-ask (https://www.anausa.org/learn-about-acoustic-neuroma/question-to-ask)
1) It does sound like your AN has grown a bit faster than the average so you will need to monitor it closely and make note of any new symptoms. Typically an AN grows 1-2mm per year but some may stop growing altogether at some point (impossible to predict). Some can grow more rapidly so all patients need to remain vigilant.
2) This is a question for your doctor to answer. If you are considering GK, it would be good to have a second opinion from a doctor who specializes in GK.
3) Like you, I experienced a rapidly growing AN but I decided on surgery and I am doing well now.
Best wishes. Clarice
Thank you so much for the welcome.
I have printed the questions and will definitely be asking the Dr. Interestingly my doctor is a surgeon and of course would like to do surgery - TransLab. Of course I am scared of the surgery, but will listen. We also want to hear from the doctor about GK, but will get all of the questions answered.
I am so glad you are all here and appreciate everyone.
Will keep everyone posted.