ANA Discussion Forum
Pre-Treatment Options => Pre-Treatment Options => Topic started by: CraftyOne on June 25, 2019, 05:35:08 pm
To AZ patients: I met with a neurosurgeon from BARROW, and will be meeting with one from MAYO next month. I need to decide which is better, Barrow or Mayo. I have a headache from all of the overwhelming research I've been doing and figure it's best to ask real patients. Help?? Thank you!
I had Cyberknife at Barrow in April 2018 and I am very happy with the doctors, nurses, and the results. The problem with Mayo is that they do not take insurance. You have to pay and get reimbursed from your insurance company. At least that was the way they did things a year ago. Barrow and Mayo are wonderful facilities. You cannot go wrong with either one. If you would like to email me, please do. We can also talk on the phone if you would like. Take care,
Thank you so much Gary. I've heard good things about both, which is why it's hard to decide, however I keep leaning toward Barrow. I am having surgery, so I have to make a very educated decision. May I ask who your doctor was at Barrow?
I was worried about Mayo taking insurance, and after multiple calls to them and BCBS, I found out they do take it, but I will find out more about the reimbursement issue because I'm not dealing with that :(
I appreciate your input, and I may reach out to you with more questions.
My neurologist at Barrow is Dr. Randall Porter. The radiologist/oncologist is Dr. Igor Barani. Dr. Mark Syms is the neurotology doctor dealing with my hearing loss. The three of them make up my team of doctors.
Mayo does not take Medicare, I am not sure about other insurance. I decided on Barrow because they are doing a lot of research on brain tumors, including acoustic neuromas. Also top doctors in the field.
Any questions you have, please feel free to contact me.
Hello, fellow AZ AN'er here....I ended up going to California to House Ear Clinic, but I did consult with Barrow. The only reason why I didn't go with Barrow is because they wanted to go Translab on me where House wanted to go Middle Fossa. The chance to save my hearing was worth the travel (and I did save it, for the most part!) Barrow is world reknown for all things brain so they do have that going for them. I would have chosen them in a heartbeat if it were and apples vs apples thing. Just remember, whatever decision you do decide on, it will be the right one. This part of the process was the worst for me, in my opinion...trying to decide what to do! Take care and good luck!