General Category > AN Issues

newbie needs advice

(1/2) > >>

bikerchic:
Hi I am newly diagnosed with a left side AN it is 1.6cm x 1.6cm x 1.1cm.  My symptoms are hearing loss in that ear starting in 2003 when it rang for 3 weeks straight.  Then again in 2004 about the same week it rang again for a few weeks.  Still have usable hearing in that ear.  Failed hearing test at work so my doc sent in for second test.

I found out on June 19th and they called the Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin and set up a consultation for me on July 3rd.   I am nervous about any surgery that I have been reading in the forums.   I work a 12 and 1/2 hour rotating swing shift and my hobbies are riding my motorcycle.  Riding my bike for me is very liberating and very calming.  I have other hobbies to, like watching nascar go JR.  Anyway I am concerned about the time it takes for people to recover their balance and I can't afford to be tired at work.  Any suggestion on which surgical or radiation treatment will better.   

By the way I am recovering from a life altering crush injury I suffered at work in February this year and I am not fully healed up from that.  It left me with 5 fractured ribs severe abdominal wall brusing and a bruised liver and spleen.  Extremely lucky to be alive from that and now have the added stress of this.

Trying to stay positive I am very fortunate that the AN was diganosed now versus later and that I walked away from a 2,500 lb roll of toilet paper (no less) pinning me over a rail.

Palace:
Hi Bikerchic,

I'm sorry you are experiencing more stress in your life after all you went through already.  Welcome to the forum!  It appears that your tumor is within the range of size to have the radiation treatment.  I was fortunate enough to have that done seven months ago.

Life goes on.......I just took a motorcycle class, myself!

Let us know about your consultation as soon as you are able to get online.

Best of luck,

Palace

Jeanlea:
Hi Bikerchic,

I also went to Froedtert.  My tumor was at 3.5 cm so gamma knife wasn't a choice for me.  I had surgery on Sept. 5, 2005.  I was back at work on Oct. 31.  Being overly tired has not been a problem for me, but everyone is different.  The doctor's at Froedtert do both surgery and gamma knife.  Stay strong.

Jean

bikerchic:
Thanks so much for responding so quickly.  I really appreciate it.  I will let you know what the docs say on Tuesday.  I've never been on a chat forum before and am greatful to find this and take advantage of it.

Jeanlea, did you have Dr. Friedland or Dr. Wackym?  That is who I see on the 3rd. 

Palace, I too took a motorcycle class 4 years ago.  I love having my own bike and can't stand being on the back of my husbands.  They only time I'm on the back of his is when we take our beloved little mutt for a ride.

Thanks again everybody.

Jeanlea:
Bikerchic, I had Dr. Friedland along with Dr. Meyer.  But Dr. Meyer has retired.  I like Dr. Friedland.  I've heard that Dr. Wackym is very good.  That's who my ENT originally recommended.  But he also wanted me to get in soon.  Two days after I found out I was down in Milwaukee talking to the doctors.

Jean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version