Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

If you survive 4 Years of W&W are you home free?

<< < (3/3)

midee:
Hi everyone, I was on w&w for almost 5 years. I was told because of my age (67 now) that the chances of my tumor growing was very small. I went 18 months between my last 2 MRI. My tumor was 8mm. My last MRI in Oct. of 2017 showed a doubling of size to 2CM. It was now right next to the brain stem, so something had to  be done. I was given either option, surgery or radiation. I saw both surgeons and opted for surgery. I did not want the chance of it growing again, and then surgery at an even older age. I just had retrosigmoid 3 weeks ago. My surgeons were excellent. I am doing wonderful. I just got my stitches out today. Felt great after surgery, only needing Tylenol for minimal pain. My hearing was already 100% gone. I still have the tinnitus. Because I was in W&W for so long, my brain had already compensated for the balance issues and dizziness. I also have been doing exercise classes and Zumba for many years. I believe this has really helped me with my quick recovery.

JLR:
Wow congrats on a successful recovery. Was the entire tumor removed. 95% of mine removed. Surgeons left 5 % which was on facial nerve and it is causing all sorts of problems. May I ask name and location of surgeon. Thanks and congrats! Joan

midee:
Hi, yes, both surgeons said 100% of the tumor was removed. My surgeons were Dr. Megerian and Dr. Bambakidis at University Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio. He did say that there can always be a few cells left that they cant see. He also told me he has never had one patient come back with a tumor regrowth. I am now 4 weeks post surgery and still doing fine.

JLR:
That's great!! Keep up the good work!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version