General Category > AN Issues

Anxiety Issues

(1/3) > >>

comfortzone:
Hi Guys,

I haven't been on here in a while due to so many medical people telling me I should have NO symptoms from my 6mm AN and to try and forget about it. I continue to have headaches/earaches ONLY on the side that the AN is on as well as dizziness and now I have started having severe anxiety attacks that have sent me to emergency hyperventilating and freaking out. I have a hard time in places where it is very loud, flashing lights, like a party, concert or nightclub - even some restaurants have this effect on me. I am now afraid to even go to a movie and feel most conmfortable at home but don't want to become a recluse. I have been taking antidepressants for a while and now have Atavan to take when anxiety attacks start. Am I the only one??? Does anyone else have anxiety attacks like this? Is it true that I should have no symptoms? I think I am ok with the little bugger and my watch and wait plan but I want to enjoy life at least a little bit, is that too much to ask?

Corinne

Jim Scott:
Hi, Corinne:

I'm so sorry to read about the physical and psychological problems you're experiencing.  Anxiety attacks indicate that you seem to be adversely affected by your knowledge of the tumor (small as it may be) that is residing within your skull.  Is your doctor fully aware of this?  You may need another physician more attuned to your specific needs to help you deal with the anxiety issues, instead of telling you to 'forget about it', which you obviously cannot do easily. Of course, anxiety and dizziness are fairly common with an acoustic neuroma tumor, especially if, due to it's placement, the tumor is affecting certain cranial nerves. However, the degree to which you're experiencing such severe anxiety seems beyond the norm and should be addressed by a qualified physician. 

Jim

BB:
CORINNE, I ALSO EXPERIENCED ANXITEY ATTACKS PRE AND POST SURGERY.  IN FACT JUST WENT TO THE DOCTOR YESTERDAY FOR THE SAME PROBLEM.  PRE SURGERY IS HARD, BECAUSE YOU ARE HAVING TO FACE SO MANY DECISIONS AND WAITING.  IT'S GOOD YOU ARE GOING ON WTIH LIFE, BUT PANIC OR ANXITEY ATTACKS ARE NOT FUN.  NEVER EXPERIENCED IT BEFORE UNTIL I GOT MY AN.  THE DOCTOR GAVE ME SOME MEDICENE TO TRY ALSO.  PRE SURGERY I FINALLY FOUND SOME THINGS THAT REALLY HELPED ME RELAX.  LISTENING TO CALM MUSIC, ONLY HAVING A COUPLE OF FRIENDS OVER AT ONE TIME REALLY HELPED.  IF IT WAS TOO NOISEY OR TOO MUCH MOVEMENT I HAD TO LEAVE IF WE WERE OUT FOR THE EVENING, AND GO HOME.  I THINK IT IS ALL NORMAL FOR THE MOST PART DUE TO THE STRESS OF THE KNOWING THE AN IS THERE AND JUST HAVING IT.  JUST SEE IF YOU CAN FIND A HAPPY MEDIUM.  THAT'S WHAT I'M WORKING TOWARDS MYSELF EVEN AFTER SURGERY.  GOOD LUCK,  AND IF YOU DON'T GET ANY RELIEF BE SURE AND GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR AND TELL HIM HOW YOU ARE FEELING.  HOPE THIS WAS SOME HELP TO YOU.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE.   BB

comfortzone:
Thanks everyone! I have my second annual MRI in two weeks and I think it is weighing on my mind. I also have a really stressful job and have to travel a lot so that doesn't help. Just knowing I'm not the only one who has experienced this makes me feel better. I have also recently changed to a new doctor and signed up for yoga so I think it will all come together soon! Thanks again so much for you thoughts...

deea:
Hi  Corinne!  So soory that you are having some difficult times, been there done that, love the good times so much better!  I was so very surprized that such a little "bugger" could have such dramatic effects on my daily life. nope, just not ready for that at all.  The First Neuro more or less just gave me a condesending smile, folded his arms and said," well, at least you don't have a brain tumor.......he is no longer my doctor, nor do I personally feel he should be anyone elses untime he takes to be some serious reading about AN's

It is so important to your health and well being to stay as active as you can, get out and and enoy life.  Take it day by day, minute by minute.  I have such insight into the goodness of people since I started this journey.  I am a happieir, more  out going person than I have been in years.  Your life will contiunue on with some changes, some good, some pretty lousey but if we  keep ears  perked  up and try to keep smiling, most, and I sincerely mean most, folks will be smiling right back at you and life goes on.

My best wishes and calming thoughts go with you.  May you find your place of calm, peace and healtful rest while you are waiting.  But most of all, on your good days, HAVE FUN!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version