Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

facial paralysis

(1/5) > >>

Becky:
I really like refresh tears, and I use it every day.  When my eye was dryer I used the liquigel.  These are both very mild and soothing ... good to keep around if you have mild to moderate, or moderate to dry eyes, respectively.   8)
Becky

jcc:
Hey Becky, have you noticed that you needed less and less as time passed? I'm 1.5 years post op and I find that my eyes are less dry this winter than last.

Becky:
I'm glad that you had less dryness this winter than last.  I have heard it can take up to 2 yrs for the facial nerve to recover from trauma.

Mine varies with any given day. 

For the first 4 or 5 months of my recovery I kept a post-op journal, and had recovered to where I was not using any lubrication.  Then I had a setback ... things have improved some since then, but with synkinesis.  Mouth pulls eye and eye pulls mouth.   :'(

Hope it continues getting better for you.
Becky

MikeC:
Times, techniques and medical science changes. 25 years ago I was left with inability to close my left eye. I used eye drops perhaps 4 times a day, as I would feel a "bitting" pain after a few hours outside in the wind, or cold. My Neurologist told me to stop using the drops, as they could cause problems. I did, and by next winter I did not need drops, as I felt no pain. Unfortunately, the eye was beginning to protect itself, since i was not. It began "glossing" over ... I use that term for lack of correct medical term ... the doctors said, "ruptured blood vessels". I found I could not see anything except light and dark not long after that. Today I use unpreserved Tears Naturale P.M. and night and the Refresh Celluvisc extra-strength during the day ... maybe 4, or 5 times a day. I wish I, and my neurologist, had known of such protection precautions at the time of my surgeries ... but then the ANA was not in existence at that time.

My message is simply, "Keep the eye moist and lubricated, with a nonpreservative ointment/drops."  :-/

Becky:
Mike,
Has your vision improved since you resumed use of lubrication?  I think the eye would get very sticky without adequate moisture, and this can damage the cornea.  I didn't realize dryness also affects the capiliaries.  I'm sorry that happened to you.  In the hospital I was given teargen, but this irritated my eye and I threw it out.  Fortunately, there are drops available now that don't irritate.

Becky

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version