General Category > Inquiries

Has anyone had a PET scan

<< < (2/2)

nancyann:
I've got titanium in place of bone they took out for AN surgery.  My neurosurgeon said titanium doesn't interfere with MRI's (I had 1 MRI 1 day post op & no problem) or airport metal detectors (haven't checked this one out yet, can't wait to see what happens!!)

Nancy

Dealy:
Nancy_Ann. I had logged off computer at work to have my lunch when I saw your post about MRI's. I hope I am not a source of misinformation to people. I was always told that any metal forbids use of an MRI. I am in contact with another NF2 who got a Cochlear Implant in one ear-and she can no longer have MRI's. However she had FSR in bith ears 5 and 6 years ago and both show they are in their death throes. In other words their dead-her ANs._Both of them. Anyway she can not have anymore MRI's but can have CAT scans. Ron. This is off the subject of the original post-but I just do not want to post misinformation. I think sometimes we can enough of that from some doctors you have too deal with. Ron

nancyann:
Hi Ron: I always thought any metal in head & MRIs are a no-no also, but who knew about titanium?
I was so in the dark re: AN surgery (only recently got a computer, didn't know about this site till after surgery, unfortunately for me).
I didn't even know they put titanium in place of bone till I got a copy of my surgery report,  that's when I asked the doctor about it & he said titanium is MRI & metal detector friendly - he was right re: the MRI 'cause my head didn't hit the ceiling with the post-op one (thank God);  I've yet to try it at airports!!!
Best regards, Nancy
PS  Misinformation is my middle name!!!!

HeadCase2:
 Titanium is not a problem for either MRI or CAT scans.  Any metal containing Fe (Iron) would be a problem for MRI, because it uses very strong magnetic fields. 
Regards,
 Rob

nancyann:
AHAAAA!!!!!!(You guys are so smart, I love it!!)

So, does that mean I can wear my gold tiara next time I have an MRI??  lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version