Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Photo of Gamma Knife GK headframe "rack" on a real person

(1/2) > >>

Dana:
Hi,
I thought someone might want to see a photograph of a actual GK headframe (or "rack" as I call it) on a real person (me).  I just made up this webpage; the photo is at the bottom.
http://homepage.mac.com/dbear3/PhotoAlbum1.html

Actually, the first picture on the page is me just three days later.
Dana

Richey:
Dana, Good you thought to take a picture. I wished later that I had thought about doing that. I'm about two and a half years out from GK for a small AN, Swelled a little after treatment and has remained the same since. I'm told that's good as long as it's not growing but would be nice to see it shrink a little. Get my next look in Feb.

Dana:
Richey,
I'm curious ... what were your symptoms before GK, and what are they now?  I'll be very happy if my medium hearing loss and slight tinnitus stay the same long term.
Thanks.
Take care,
Dana

Betsy:
Thanks for sharing Dana!  I like your pictures!   Did get get the "happy pill"?  I can't imagine having the headframe attached without it.  It looks like it fits pretty close to your face....I'm wondering if I'll be able to get my glasses back on afterward.  Of course, with the "happy pill" maybe I won't care about seeing things clearly!

Betsy

Dana:
Yes, I had the "happy" IV.... didn't realize it at the time, but the picture sure shows it !! 

I don't think I could've put my glasses on, but there wasn't much need -- I didn't care (!), there were folks to talk to, and the whole process went pretty quickly once the rack was on ... they take exact measurements, then you go get an MRI, then a period when they're figuring out the exact angles to set the GK machine to (I guess that's the part where I "didn't care", cuz I certainly don't remember being restless or fidgety).   I got to hospital/Harborview Gamma Knife Center about 6:30 am.  I know they didn't put rack on until about 8 or 8:30 am, and we were out of there by 1 pm.

Oh, the funniest part was that after the rack was in place and I'd had MRI, I got to eat a nice breakfast they provided.... the funny part was getting the food in my mouth around the contraption!  When you asked about your glasses, that's what I thought of -- figuring out what angle I had to have the fork or spoon so the food would go up and over the part of the rack in front of my mouth!

Take care,
Dana

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version