Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Cyberknife and Insurance

(1/7) > >>

sgerrard:
First, an annoucement, I have taken the plunge, and setup an appointment for Cyberknife treatment at Stanford, starting Sep. 10.

Second, boy does it feel good to be able to say that! I feel better already.

Third, thanks to all forum users, and the CK'ers and GK'ers in particular, for your support and information.

Then last, the appointment process has just started, and I'm not sure yet whether the insurance company will cover it. I have talked to them, and they are certainly going to consider it, at least. It may be a week or so before I know for sure.

So a question: what might help convince the insurance company to cover Cyberknife? Or will the scheduling people at Stanford get it taken care of? Since my otologist suggested considering radiation and supports me having it, I think the insurance would cover Gammaknife here in Portland, OR. My concern is that they may not want to cover Cyberknife instead, since it will be "out of plan."

Does anyone know if this can be an issue, or have ideas of what might help to persuade the insurance company?

Steve

aardvark:
Hi Steve -

The folks at Stanford took care of securing my coverage 2 years ago, and they were extremely efficient.  I had Blue Cross at the time.  It's a sad fact that insurance companies are becoming increasingly restrictive, and Bruce is right about the need to be proactive.  Give Stanford a call on Monday to discuss your situation......they're really good at what they do, and I think they'll go to bat for you with your insurance provider. 

Congratulations on setting a date - feels a little euphoric, doesn't it?

aa

Betsy:
Hi Steve,

Congratulations on taking the BIG step of scheduling treatment!  So much of this AN business is unknown that being able to write your treatment date on the calendar can be a big relief.

My insurance company acted hesitant at first, but the approval actually came through within 24 hours of the day I called to make the appointment.  They were probably relieved I didn't go the more expensive route of microsurgery.  I was expecting them to drag their feet and would have been ready to do battle with them if needed, but it all worked out quite well.  Of course, they haven't paid for it YET, but I have it in writing that they will.

I hope your insurance will come through for you as quickly as mine did.

Betsy

Sue:
Congrats Steve on your decision.  That's a big step in the right direction!  

I think that the insurance thing will turn out okay for you. At least I hope so.  Since this treatment is so specialized they must know that many patients travel out of the area and out of plan to get this done. You can't be the first patient to request this.  Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sue in Vancouver USA

sgerrard:
Thank you all, I think I was also fishing for some "atta boy" confirmation, and I appreciate your encouragement.

My first step will be to give the insurance company a chance, they may come through up front. If not, it sounds like the Stanford people have experience at this, and there is also some good information available to bolster my case. There might be a flap with the insurance, depending on the experience of the person initially handling the case, but I suspect they will come through in the end.

One more thing to wait and see on, I guess, but I've gotten better at that, thanks to my little AN. ;)

I will update when I know more. Thanks again,

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version